Menu

Are TC lectures How the Earth Works a good companion to Tarbuck Earth Science?

DD 9th grade will be using Tarbuck's Earth Science (college text). I have NO background in this topic. Do you think the text w/CD is explanatory enough, or would the TC lectures be a great asset? I'm asking because they are on sale right now. They also have a set of the How the Earth Works & Oceanograpy on sale, too. I guess if I am going to shell out the money, I want to know that they would be VERY useful to us.

Thanks,

Jennifer

DD 9th grade will be using Tarbuck's Earth Science (college text). I have NO background in this topic. Do you think the text w/CD is explanatory enough, or would the TC lectures be a great asset? I'm asking because they are on sale right now. They also have a set of the How the Earth Works & Oceanograpy on sale, too. I guess if I am going to shell out the money, I want to know that they would be VERY useful to us.

The book is excellent and very self explanatory. My ds read the college version last year with no trouble. I don't think I even had to explain anything to him. We got the TC lectures (and the 2 I saw were excellent), but my ds did not really want to watch them, he much preferred to read the book. It was too time consuming for him to do both. We never used the CD. He did use the application and investigation guide, and it was very challenging and worthwhile. We got the answers (which we really needed) from the publisher with proof of purchase and proof of homeschooling.

Ruth in NZ

The book is excellent and very self explanatory. My ds read the college version last year with no trouble. I don't think I even had to explain anything to him. We got the TC lectures (and the 2 I saw were excellent), but my ds did not really want to watch them, he much preferred to read the book. It was too time consuming for him to do both. We never used the CD. He did use the application and investigation guide, and it was very challenging and worthwhile. We got the answers (which we really needed) from the publisher with proof of purchase and proof of homeschooling.

Ruth in NZ

Ruth,

Thanks for the reply. The amount of time needed to WATCH & READ was one of my concerns. So you have verified that for me. I decided to go with a Labpak for earth science along with some other experiments I found, so I didn't order the investigations book. What I did find to help dd were flashcards with vocabulary & concept review. For me, I was able to locate a teacher's guide w/answers to chapter reviews, an outline for me to teach from, and tests/answer key. YAY!! That saves me some time.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I won't be getting the TC lectures. By golly, you just saved me $200. :D

My dh thanks you!

Jennifer

Anyway, thanks for the help. I won't be getting the TC lectures. By golly, you just saved me $200. :D

Glad to help. My ds really enjoyed earth science last year. Tarbuck is just a such an interesting book. Oh, should have mentioned it earlier, as a university lecturer and high school science teacher in my previous life, I would not expect a high school student to finish the book. It is just too long. Do 2/3rds of the college text for a high school credit, especially in 9th grade.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

We got the answers (which we really needed) from the publisher with proof of purchase and proof of homeschooling.

Ruth in NZ

I just got the Tarbuck book, which looks great, and I've got the Investigations book on order. When you say you "got the answers" - is that the answers to the review questions in the Tarbuck book, or answers to stuff in the Investigations book, or something else? I figure we can use all the help we can get.

I just got the Tarbuck book, which looks great, and I've got the Investigations book on order. When you say you "got the answers" - is that the answers to the review questions in the Tarbuck book, or answers to stuff in the Investigations book, or something else? I figure we can use all the help we can get.

Both. Answers to the textbook questions and to the investigation book.