Menu

If you combine students in Elemental Science...

truebluexf

How does it work when your younger one gets to logic stage? I'm thinking of combining my 5th and 3rd graders in Biology, modifying it for mostly the younger. I know there are a lot of helps in the logic guide to do so. My question is, if we go through it this way, what happens when she hits 7th grade and has finished them all? I also worry about her not getting all out of it that she could and thus missing out. It would be great to keep them on the same subject though! I am currently planning to use RSO Life with my DD just so they are on the same general topic (I happen to already own it, picked it up used at convention for $6 and figured why not?)

Thoughts?

I'll cross that bridge when I get there. ;) Actually 2 plans are in place, the first is to let him re-do the ES science but use the higher level books rather than the easier books for research and reports. The second is to keep him with his older sister and let him start high school science early. 7th grade science I'm not worried about since it's earth science for us. Biology will be taken in 8th and many 8th graders take it a year early anyway. :001_smile:

Also, I guess I just print another copy of the student guide and change the reading assignments?

I have the DK Animal Encyclopedia and the Usborne Little Encyclopedia of the Human Body....I think I could sub these for my younger one, and I bet my 4yo would be thrilled too bc she LOVES animals.

Edited by truebluexf

Also, I guess I just print another copy of the student guide and change the reading assignments?

I have the DK Animal Encyclopedia and the Usborne Little Encyclopedia of the Human Body....I think I could sub these for my younger one, and I bet my 4yo would be thrilled too bc she LOVES animals.

My 3yo loves animals also, so I'm running an informal animal study with my 2 & 3 yos this year. I picked an animal that, sorta, ties into the ES studies, and found a coloring page to go with it. It should be a lot of fun. :D

Actually I was thinking of having ds use The Usborne Illustrated Science Encyclopedia and DK Human Body as an 8th grader if he didn't use the high school textbook with his sister. They're already scheduled, but too difficult for a 4th grader. It would be fresh material the second time through. He'll be reading Kingfisher and Usborne Internet-linked Science Encylopedias this time through.:001_smile:

My eyes are crossing from all the similar book names. The ones scheduled in logic stage are DK Encyclopedia of Nature and Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia. UISE is an extra source, but also better for 4th and 5th graders. Am I right? LOL

I have several One Small Square books too from doing WP AW when they were smaller, which is where the animal encyclopedia comes from. I have some other books from that too...we are probably set except for books about plants!

Lol, aren't the name similarities horrid! UISE is an excellent resource for upper grammar, lower logic levels. Usborne Illustrated Encyclopedia is upper middle school and lower highschool as I understand it. If I remember right, it's suggested for 15yos in the publisher guidelines.