Menu

I could use some help clarifying my thinking about our 8th gr. schedule!

dkholland

My ds is doing 8th grade work this fall. He has been in a private school the past few years but we have moved and now he will join his brothers at home. This is what I have so far:

SL Lv. 100 In-depth American History and Literature

SL Bible 100

Jacobs Geometry

IEW history-based writing lessons

The Art of Argument (really want to get into logic with him even though it scares the willy's out of me!!)

Now Science??? My older ds has gotten somewhat bored with Apologia because he has used that curriculum for so many years. This being a "middle school" year I thought I would instead throw in Total Health for half the year and then Geography for the other semester. But, as I have been looking at Christine's schedule for Runckle's (love it!), I could just do geography the whole year.

OR....Is it too much to ask this kid to do Health two days a week and Geogrpahy three days?? Can I handle that along with three other dss schooling at home??? With what he has so far, I just need someone to tell me how they see this...I just can't pick a side of the fence and stay on it, KWIM:confused:

My question is which subject would be more worthwhile...I am leaning toward Goegraphy because he is really lacking in that area. Thanks for listening to late night ramblings....okay its only 10:00...

SL Lv. 100 In-depth American History and Literature

SL Bible 100

Jacobs Geometry

IEW history-based writing lessons

The Art of Argument (really want to get into logic with him even though it scares the willy's out of me!!)

Now Science??? My older ds has gotten somewhat bored with Apologia because he has used that curriculum for so many years. This being a "middle school" year I thought I would instead throw in Total Health for half the year and then Geography for the other semester. But, as I have been looking at Christine's schedule for Runckle's (love it!), I could just do geography the whole year.

OK-you might not like my suggestion, but I'll just go for it. I believe that you should do the geography suggestions within SL. Aren't there geo sections in the SL guide? I would not bother with health. There has been a thread about the importance (or unimportance) of health on the High School board. And, I would do a dedicated science curriculum. Your schedule is already very reading/writing/history/logic strong. I really think that this is not the year to do science-lite. I only say that after looking at high school science books and thinking that there is a huge jump between jr. hi and high school. I can't tell you what to choose as far as science goes. My dd did BJU Physical Science (their 9th grade program) as an 8th grader this past year. It was rigorous and interesting.

Please don't be mad!:001_smile:

Holly

If he's used Apologia for years, then I'm guessing that would be the elementary books? I found them a little tedious, myself. But, the upper levels are totally different. Different author, and very hands-on.

Or, you might look at the Physical Science by Prentice Hall (Science Explorer).

(I would also let SL handle the Geography.)

Best wishes!

Rhonda

I'm not sure if you have any older kids, however many high school biology books do cover human anatomy. Our Prentice Hall high school biology devotes the last several (I think maybe 10) chapters to it. Of course anatomy also includes a lot of health related info.

Holly