Menu

Homemade Vanilla Extract

It's not too late. I just did it here.

There was also a WTM thread on vanilla making a couple months back.

Thank you for telling me what I wanted to hear, yay! :001_wub:

Your blog post was really informative and will certainly follow it. I was thinking that using the vodka bottle itself would be a good idea, so now I know how much vodka to measure out of it to make it the right amount.

Did you buy any small glass bottles? If so, which ones did you find? I'm still looking for something that is food quality should I want to give a couple bottles to friends. I'll probably get my beans from Amazon, too.

Thanks again!

This is a quote from my friend Jackie. She shares where she found her bottles.

"I didn’t really have a recipe to start with, so I just guessed at it. I searched high and low for decorative bottles, but didn’t find much and what I did added quite a bit of expense to the project. Then I found the 360 brand vodka (http://www.vodka360.com). I bought several of the smallest size, which I believe is a pint and added 4 beans to each. I just split my beans down the middle leaving one end in tact and drop them in. Let it set for a minimum of 6 weeks. I ordered my beans from a website that specializes in vanilla beans (http://www.beanilla.com). I chose the madagascar beans. "

I haven't actually put mine into smaller bottles yet, but the WTM thread I linked up on top does have discussion about small bottles.