Menu

math help - experts please weigh in

Aoife

DS is high functioning autistic for one so not sure if tht goes along with why he is having problems figuring out this concept.

We started math with him with MUS primer but is was too boring for him and he wasn't retaining anything. We switched to RS which he loves and he has been retaining the majority of what we learn BUT

He seems to have a mental block about number order and no concept of their "size" He guesses most of the time and I am ot sure if it is out of confusion or laziness.

for instance if you ask him what is one bigger then 4 you will often times hear 3. Or what is 3 morre then 5 you will hear 6. It is like word problems are unbelievably hard for hm to grasp.

However you give this kid a worksheet with probems and part whole circles he will fly through it and most will be correct. i want him to be able to do both though which is why we are doing RS with MIF worksheets as a supplement. I have tried a lot of strtagies like busting out our montssori bead material, cuisenair rods, number lines and the like but he still struggless with number order and understanding the sie of quantities. It seems to only be connectd to words though becuse as I said given the problem 70+8 or 5+4 on paper and the ability to use part whole circles and an abacus he can do it. I do't want him becomming fully reliant on the abacus though.

Any ideas on activities or anything tht could help him with this problem? It is extremely frustrating for him and mom as well LOL :tongue_smilie:

Make him act those problems out with blocks or counters. Every single problem, every day. Don't put the counters aside until he can explain the concept in his own words, and then leave them easily accessible so he can grab them anytime he feels the need. Something that can stack well works best, in my experience; 2x2 Lego bricks are perfect.

Here's what I'd try:

Pull out some M&M's or something similar (and enticing). Put 3 in one hand and 5 in another. Ask him which hand he wants, the hand with 3 or the hand with 5. Ask him why he wants that one. Because it has more! Then let him eat them. Keep practicing with lots of examples. When you feel he's ready, do more examples with your hands closed, hiding the M&M's. Have him decide which number he wants. Check whether he is right or not. Talk about it, making sure you use the lingo you're trying to teach (more, less, bigger, smaller). Then let him eat the one he chose. He's going to be motivated to try to get the most treats, so he'll be more likely to work at figuring it out. :D