Menu

Homeschool Spanish Academy question-

Hi all,

I'm desperately searching for a reasonably priced online Spanish 1 class. Originally dd was going to take Spanish 1 at our local co-op, but she has a time conflict and cannot.

I heard about HSA (Homeschool Spanish Academy) through the forum and had a few questions -

1) I saw there is no textbook - I wonder on college apps, what do you write for textbook used?? (sorry we haven't come across this)

2) Are there any materials that dc is able to use to review over the summer? (or is everything turned back to HSA?)

3) Would you say it's rigorous enough & yout dc is learning/retaining (sorry again I have no idea, since there is not text to take a look at)

3) Would you recommend HSA to a student that has no Spanish experience and using it as a curriculum? (not as supplement)

Thanks so much for everyones help!

My son will be starting his second semester next week (high school level 2). After doing some programs at home, this is a good way to continue his Spanish education. It's cheaper than a private tutor and better than any groups offered around here.

There has been a few past conversations about HSA so you may get more info by doing a search.

To your questions:

1. There is no textbook, but you can print out the daily lesson that is sent. HSA does track and provide grades for attendance, homework, quizzes and tests.

2. Since you get nothing from HSA there is nothing to turn back in. I suppose you could use the daily lesson for review or get a simple program. We took a complete break over the summer.

3. I think it is rigorous enough. My dd is taking Spanish at CC. She took Spanish 111 (beginning college Spanish) last year and she and my son seemed to be learning many of the same things. They often confer or correct each other.

4. Based on what I've experienced so far, I would recommend HSA for a beginner. They are teaching the language - vocabulary, grammar, context, usage...everything. The first 'class' is conducted in order to determine which level to place your child at. Each class is nearly an hour and homework for the class takes another hour, more or less. My son takes two classes a week. The amount he is learning and the time required is sufficient, in my mind, to be counted as a full time class. I am not adding anything to it at this time.

My son will be starting his second semester next week (high school level 2). After doing some programs at home, this is a good way to continue his Spanish education. It's cheaper than a private tutor and better than any groups offered around here.

There has been a few past conversations about HSA so you may get more info by doing a search.

To your questions:

1. There is no textbook, but you can print out the daily lesson that is sent. HSA does track and provide grades for attendance, homework, quizzes and tests.

2. Since you get nothing from HSA there is nothing to turn back in. I suppose you could use the daily lesson for review or get a simple program. We took a complete break over the summer.

3. I think it is rigorous enough. My dd is taking Spanish at CC. She took Spanish 111 (beginning college Spanish) last year and she and my son seemed to be learning many of the same things. They often confer or correct each other.

4. Based on what I've experienced so far, I would recommend HSA for a beginner. They are teaching the language - vocabulary, grammar, context, usage...everything. The first 'class' is conducted in order to determine which level to place your child at. Each class is nearly an hour and homework for the class takes another hour, more or less. My son takes two classes a week. The amount he is learning and the time required is sufficient, in my mind, to be counted as a full time class. I am not adding anything to it at this time.

So, there is daily homework that your son does and turns in (email) to his teacher? (sorry, not sure about this) I just want to make sure there is writing involved...

Also, since there is no text book, what should one write on college apps where they ask for texts used for each class? (Just wondering what others do in this case)

Thanks so much!

The homework is sent electronically and is to be filled out right on the rtf and sent back electronically. Most answers are fill in the blank so there isn't alot of original writing at this point. Every lesson has a homework set.

I haven't thought about college apps. You could call the text, Homeschool Spanish Academy, proprietary text. And from the grade sheet you can pick up a table of contents.