Menu

Science ?

momaof3

I couldn't find a thread so this may have been addressed but I will still ask. I have 2nd and 4th boys and need to choose a science that I can do with both. Last year we did CC and I used that mostly as my science and history. So technically I would say this is our first year of following the WTM. We are using SOTW 1 for history and am thinking about using Life Science from Mr. Q since it's free. I want to know has anyone used this and will my 4th grader get enough from this. I know he will need to be in the Logic stage by 6th grade but I get so confused sometimes if he will be behind. Is Life Science from Mr. Q a good thing to choose or not.:confused: Or should I just start with Physics, what WTM says for 4th grade? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by momaof3
added more

Well, I am definitely no expert (this is our first year) but I am using that exact same science curriculum AND I have 2 girls 2nd and 4th. If I find that my 4th grader needs more, I intend to find additional things to supplement for her.

Hopefully someone can come along and answer this question for both of us! :tongue_smilie:

I couldn't find a thread so this may have been addressed but I will still ask. I have 2nd and 4th boys and need to choose a science that I can do with both. Last year we did CC and I used that mostly as my science and history. So technically I would say this is our first year of following the WTM. We are using SOTW 1 for history and am thinking about using Life Science from Mr. Q since it's free. I want to know has anyone used this and will my 4th grader get enough from this. I know he will need to be in the Logic stage by 6th grade but I get so confused sometimes if he will be behind. Is Life Science from Mr. Q a good thing to choose or not.:confused: Or should I just start with Physics, what WTM says for 4th grade? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

My 5th grader uses it and she loves it! I also use Apologia with all three kiddos together, but I am one who kinda over does things. ;) I feel that it would be perfectly fine as a stand alone Science curriculum. My dd has already learned tons and she is only on Chapter 9.

We haven't used any of Mr. Q's sciences yet, but I'll be doing Earth Science with my 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders this fall. Right now, I think it will be perfect for all three of them, but if my 4th grader wants/needs a deeper explanation for certain topics or chapters, I'll have him read from a middle school textbook. Ck12 and CPO both have Life Science textbooks that are free online.

Hth!

Mr. Q gets good reviews, but keep in mind you'll need to pay for the printing, or read it off a computer or ereader.

Otter's Life Science is another free option.

My 4th and 2nd graders are going to start their school year with a 12 week human body study made by me, using a Kingfisher First Encyclopedia of the Human Body as our spine. I added in Scholastic's Make and Learn Projects: Human Body, some internet links, and extra books. TWTM has pretty good instructions for how to do this.