Menu

Games for begining readers?

Rasa

I am looking for a reading game recommendation (a "real", not a computer game) for an early beginner -- something involving CVC, sight words... Extra bonus if the game is exciting enough that a competent reader might want to join in just for the fun of it. Many thanks in advance!

This may not be what you are looking for, but I raided the kids' playmobil stash and had DD work on matching initial sounds written on index cards to various PM objects. Then we moved to matching relatively simple words, and then later we moved onto sentences using PM (ex: Put hat under the broom. Brush the horse with the rake. I made some of them extra silly to test her comprehension ;) )

We have Pop for Sight Words from a super sale on amazon, and DD enjoys that. It isn't the most exciting, but she enjoys it. She is pretty agreeable to most games though.

Edited by Momof3littles

We bought Happy Phonics, and used the games with that, along with some file folder games. I actually use OPGTR for the word lists, but Happy Phonics is the basis for the actual teaching because Hero would never ever tolerate the method suggested in OPGTR, and *really* would not have gone for it when he was littler and we were just starting. One of the file folder games that I made that's always a fan favorite is that I found a monster picture and cut a hole in the mouth and we feed the monster the already read words (he doesn't like "raw" unread words, lol). The other one that's a favorite is the one that Hero made himself- he used my scrapbook punches, and we glued the pieces down to make a path to follow. I like that one really well too, because he decided that he wanted numbers on the shapes, so on some squares he has to read 2, 3 or even 4 words - and the bigger the number hte more desirable the space is! My 2yo has to do whatever the big guy does, so we've broken out the lowercase letters from one of the HP games, and he plays along too. I love that about HP: it's great for littles. The other game that I love, and *really* wish that I'd heard of before I started teaching Hero was to blend orally. Say b-a-t really slowly, and see how quickly they can guess the word. I think that would have made the jump to blending much easier for Hero. Dragon will be benefiting from a number of things that I learned from teaching Hero, and that's one of them.

Hero requests that I share the following smilies:

:auto::iagree::lurk5::confused: