Menu

x-post: Science and history plans... feedback?

Just looking for feedback on my current plans for upcoming history and science. I still need to nail down a few details, but I think this will allow for a good mix of books, hands-on, and freedom to explore interests.

My plan at the moment for science and history is as follows - I will be requiring one item from each category each week:

History (still torn on the "spine", down to three choices - Core Knowledge books OR the Rainbow Book of American History OR Builders of the Old World). [Note: We'll be watching CNN Student News most days, and reading various "picture" books related to important dates/famous people/events/etc., as well.]

A: A reading (selected by me) to expose them to history topics.

B: A documentary or movie of choice

C: A project of choice. I have this handy-dandy book to help with that., OR they can draw a picture and write something, which I may require anyhow.

D: A story to go with history they are interested in. Could be historical fiction, or a vintage book.

Science (BFSU, OR Real Science 4 Kids, OR ?)

A: A reading (selected by me) to expose them to science topics. If we go with BFSU, I'll read a library book aloud to both, and then ds11 will read through a corresponding entry in the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia.

B: A documentary of choice

C: An experiment of choice. I have lots of experiment books on hand. dd9 will have to draw/label a picture of experiments, and ds11 will be keeping a lab book.

D: Nature walk and journaling. Plus regular reading from living nature books.

ETA: What I am visualizing is something like this...

Day 1: 20 minutes approx. EACH reading from history and science

Day 2: A science project to be done. A history documentary during lunch, or an evening movie.

Day 3: Start work on a history project, or timeline work, or drawing. A science documentary during lunch.

Day 4: A few chapters from a book of their choice for history, and a nature walk with journaling.

Edited by momto2Cs