Menu

Killeing bed bugs and other unknowns

I bought an old rocker that has wooden feet and arm but the body is fabric. I do not want to bring unwanted guests into the house...bed bugs, lice, what-nots...so am leaving it bake in the car. I have heard this can kill bed bugs but how long should I leave it? I was thinking a few days but maybe a week or two....what does the hive think?

I really, really what to use it in the library. I have been sitting in a worn out bean bag chair for the last two weeks getting schedules and things ready for next weeks school so my patience level is low. Any ideas?

Ah, gotcha. I guess I was thinking along the lines of lice "If even one survives" :tongue_smilie: Wouldn't THAT be a mess?

This is reminding me of the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon freaks out over Penny's new chair. LOL

Usually you can see signs of bed bugs. There will be little black droppings. Check the seams of the fabric to look for bugs or droppings. The bugs can't get into the fabric unless there is a tear. They are flat as paper and can actually squeeze into the joints of the wood frame.

I'm not sure that keeping it in your car will do anything. It has to be hot enough to permeate throughout the entire piece of furniture. If the interior part of the furniture doesn't reach a high enough temperature, the bugs will move inward until the temperature lowers. You could put a thermometer in your car. If the temp gets to 150 degrees you should be good. I believe that is what pest control companies heat houses to in order to kill bugs.

ETA: The eggs are visible as well if you do an inspection. They look like tiny grains of rice and will be tucked in cracks.

Edited by Cricket

Ah, gotcha. I guess I was thinking along the lines of lice "If even one survives" :tongue_smilie: Wouldn't THAT be a mess?

This is reminding me of the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon freaks out over Penny's new chair. LOL

Right now the college students are moving in all over town. There are sofas, chairs and everything else from perfect condition to 'good lord what happened'. Sheldon would be in a coma by now.

The chair was bought at a very clean/neat second hand store. I really don't think anything is in/on it but want to play it safe.