Menu

HELP! We've never written an Actor Bio before!

Okay, she has to write a bio for herself and her character. We've never done this before so have no idea what to write. She also has to include her answer to, "If you could be any fruit, what would it be?"

So far, the general culture of the children's theatre, director and support staff is . . . energetic, hilarious, super friendly, politically correct.

So, how is this for a teen girl who wants to be funny and hasn't acted much outside of church?

Everyone has always told *Name she is an angel and it just happened to come true in The Worst Best Christmas Pageant Ever . . . Twice! In addition, she has graced various church plays with her unique presence masterfully bringing to life angels, townsfolk, and the odd camel. Not limiting herself to the stage alone, she has brilliantly scripted and acted skits to perform with and for friends and family.

Just as the Bard says, “All the world’s a stage . . .†and *Name is proud to prove it . . . everywhere, everyday!

When asked which fruit she’d most like to be, she was quoted by PEOPLE as saying, â€If I were a fruit, I’d be a pomegranate pip or a grape . . . so I could have all my friends with me!â€

*Name has simply adored this acting experience and hopes to continue her *Theatre career with Treasure Island and more.

:bigear:

Just my experience/opinion, but usually a bio doesn't contain so much self-congratulation/admiration (all those adjectives). You're telling about your acting experience and how you are enjoying the current show, hope to do more, but you're not trying to convince readers how amazing you are. Does that make sense? (I'm not implying your dd is vain at all, just pointing out that this bio differs from the ones my cohorts and I put in our programs.)

I think the line about the angel is cute, but other than that, I'd tone down the language to the facts about her involvement in other productions.

Now, it would be even better if you could get a hold of programs from some of the theatre's past shows, to get examples of what's normal there.

Usually here, it's more like:

This is Wendi's sixth production with Theatre. Her past roles include Mrs. Rose in "Hello Dolly", Miss Bates in "Emma", ensemble in "Here We Sit", Madame Gaspard in "Tale of Two Cities", and Sister Berthe in "The Sound of Music". Previously, she was in the ensemble of "The Pirates of Penzance" at Civic Theatre and "Anything Goes" at the University Theatre. She has performed with choral groups including Group, and sings on the worship team at church. Alma Hix is her favorite role so far, and she has loved getting to know her talented castmates and all the fun times backstage. She appreciates her family's support. She hopes to continue performing with Theatre in upcoming shows.

Sometimes there's more humor, but that's the typical format here.

Wendi

Just my experience/opinion, but usually a bio doesn't contain so much self-congratulation/admiration (all those adjectives). You're telling about your acting experience and how you are enjoying the current show, hope to do more, but you're not trying to convince readers how amazing you are. Does that make sense? (I'm not implying your dd is vain at all, just pointing out that this bio differs from the ones my cohorts and I put in our programs.)

I think the line about the angel is cute, but other than that, I'd tone down the language to the facts about her involvement in other productions.

Now, it would be even better if you could get a hold of programs from some of the theatre's past shows, to get examples of what's normal there.

Usually here, it's more like:

This is Wendi's sixth production with Theatre. Her past roles include Mrs. Rose in "Hello Dolly", Miss Bates in "Emma", ensemble in "Here We Sit", Madame Gaspard in "Tale of Two Cities", and Sister Berthe in "The Sound of Music". Previously, she was in the ensemble of "The Pirates of Penzance" at Civic Theatre and "Anything Goes" at the University Theatre. She has performed with choral groups including Group, and sings on the worship team at church. Alma Hix is her favorite role so far, and she has loved getting to know her talented castmates and all the fun times backstage. She appreciates her family's support. She hopes to continue performing with Theatre in upcoming shows.

Sometimes there's more humor, but that's the typical format here.

Wendi

:iagree: I would definitely look at past programs for the general format that your theater uses and follow the norm.

Our children's theater has a lot of kids that are new to acting without much prior experience, so we tend to include facts/interest outside of theater as well. Here are my kiddos' bios from our most recent production:

(DS) is eleven years old and a homeschooled 6th grader. He is excited to be returning to (theater name) for his sixth production! Playing the Bullfrog in
Honk!
has been his favorite role so far. When not on stage, he enjoys skateboarding, video games, drawing, and music - especially The Beatles! (DS) plays piano and is also active in (pre-teen ministry) at his church. He thanks God for his talents hopes to glorify Him through his acting.

(DD8) is an eight year old, rising third grader who is homeschooled. She is excited to be returning to (theater name) stage after playing a squirrel and gift-giver in “Sleeping Beautyâ€. (DD) plays academy soccer and loves to sing, draw, make crafts, and play outside. She thanks her brother, (DS), for his encouragement and her family for their support!

(DD4) is four years old and is happy to be returning to (theater name) stage after playing a chipmunk and gift-giver in “Sleeping Beautyâ€. She enjoys singing, music, learning to read, and playing outside. She also plays soccer and takes ballet and tap. She loves being on stage and thanks (Director) for the opportunity to act with her brother and sister!

Some of the kids do interject more humor in their bios, but it tends to be more self-depreciating rather than self-promotion.

I hope your DD enjoys the theater! My kids love it and it has been a great experience for them!!

I agree that theatre bios are usually a little more . . . restrained.

Here's a recent one my son used:

[Name] is a homeschooler, performer and gadgeteer. He’s performed with groups including First-mentioned Theatre, Second-mentioned Theatre, Local Youth Theatre, Local Ballet Company, Local Opera Company and the Local Center for the Arts. He sings with the Local Choir, with whom he will tour England this summer. Most recently, he played Oliver “Daddy” Warbucks in Annie Jr. at the Yet-another Theatre. To Kill a Mockingbird is his first show at the This Particular Theatre. When he’s not in rehearsals, dance and music lessons, he enjoys creating things with duct tape, reading and playing with his viscous cat.

I've never heard of asking cast members about fruit.

Edited by Jenny in Florida