Menu

Does anyone here follow the Core Knowledge sequence for history?

AimeeM

Silly question on a classical ed board, I know. Lol.

Autumn loved their book Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines. I found out that they have actual hard copy history/geography textbooks (through Pearson Learning) for grades K-6.

If you use core knowledge, how big a deal would it be to start my 11 year old on their fifth grade sequence? I would have to play year's worth of catch up to go back any further in their sequence (as it is, she's a rising sixth grader). Since she did enjoy the aforementioned book (Rats, Bulls) and she generally HATES history, I think I could get some excitement with their history books; I also know, however, that their history sequence is very different from the one we've been following.

All of the material would be revisited in high school, right?

We follow it but we don't use the books from Pearson. I follow the free curriculum from BCP which follows the Core Knowledge Series. I follow their lessons almost exactly and then I add in our own reading that I find at the library.

So from that somewhat limited experience I think you could totally start your dd in the sequence. It's not that she'll miss anything - it's just that she'll have more information to absorb because she might not know some of the more basic background that was learned in an earlier grade. For example, in 1st grade ds & I went over the land bridge and how people/animals moved into North America. Now in 3rd grade we will be covering the land bridge again except in much more detail.