Menu

Looks like we'll be renters for a while...

We still own our home in another state that we are renting out. We want to keep it because we have a lot of equity in it, it's a perfect rental, it's only 5 years old, and we only have 12 years of payments left.

However, we spoke with the bank today and we can't get preapproved for another home in our new state. They want us to talk with them again in the spring when we have another year's tax returns (with our higher salary) and more time with our renters paying rent.

So, it looks like there is a good chance we will be renting again, but we can't stay in this house. It's just too small. Our lease is up next summer, so if we can't buy, we'll be looking for another rental. We want it to be somewhere we could be long-term.

We are just having a problem feeling settled and grounded while renting. I know many people do this, though, and I think it's hard for us because we DID live in the home we owned. It's been hard to go back to renting.

To those of you who rent long-term: How do you make it feel like your house? How do you make things feel permanent? Is there anything special you look for in a rental home?

My husband was sweet on the way home from the bank. He reminded me that I could go back to work tomorrow and we could buy a nice (2nd) house, but that we've made the decision to homeschool and it's important to us. He said he's ok with renting longer if it means our kids are getting what they need. That's huge for him!