Menu

S/O Abeka grammar users come here, Please!

mom2agang

I'm going to use Abeka grammar from 2nd grade up. How do you use it in your house? Do you make flash cards of the rules? Do you do all the writing instruction? I am going to use IEW for writing also. Do you teach everything in the lesson plans? Also, Do your kids do all the problems? Do you use their spelling?

Sorry for all the questions today. Just trying to get wisdom from all the wise people!:D

I am using it for fifth grade this year, and we have completed about five weeks. I will tell you what we are doing, and then bump it for you. I am using the teacher's guide as needed for supplementation for more difficult topics. We are not using the writing portion because we use IEW, but I might pick and choose. We use Abeka spelling but not on grade level. My daughter has a lot of difficulty with spelling. We also do not use their reading program past phonics. We read real books from the library. I feel that she does not need a reading comprehension program because she gets plenty of that in other subjects. So, basically we use only the grammar portion.

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in. Hope that helps.

Paula

We are doing 3rd this year for dd(and I have used it off and on for the others). I do not use the manual. We do a page a day and review any rules we are working on. For the review pages we do not do everything but if there is some missed problems we will go back and do the ones we missed after a review session. Writing days we spend 3 days on an assignment...rough draft, corrections, and final draft.

We have used the spelling in the past, but not this year. I do not follow the teachers guide, instead we do a list a week. Intro to words on Mon, work pages on Tues, write them on Wed, oral work and study on Thurs, test on Fri. I also take the take home list and put it on the fridge and orally quiz a word or two throughout the day/week.