Menu

SCT-Sluggish Cognitive Tempo

I am still waiting on the results from testing for my older DD. I get those Aug 11th. In the mean time I ran across a term I had not heard of before. SCT- Sluggish Cognitive Tempo. DD fits the majority of these symptoms but she also fits the ADHD-inattentive type.

Symptoms include

frequent daydreaming

tendency to become confused easily

sluggish-lethargic behavior

drowsiness

frequent staring into space

slow processing of information

poor memory retrieval

social passiveness, reticence and withdrawl

people with SCT often have trouble problem-solvng, self organization, self initiation and processing competing sources of information. They are often characterized as hypoactive.

The pscy did mention to me that my daughter [10] did not do so well on the cognitive test. In fact she said my 6 y/o daughter did better than my older.

Does anyone have this DX? If so how do you go about treating it? Is it really just another subset of ADHD? I plan on asking about this on Aug 11th.

Thanks.

Edited by my3luvbugs990105

I have never heard of this, but my ds has almost all the signs. One neuropsych said he was ADD when he was really young (kindergarten). We tried a few weeks of Ritalin, which didn't help and gave him a lot of anxiety. Last year (when he was 11) another neuropsych said no he wasn't ADD -- he just has low working memory and processing speed.

Please let us know what you find out!