Menu

how do you choose which extra books to purchase?

caedmyn

Not curriculum, just reading/supplemental books for your home library. We already have a wall-to-wall, floor to ceiling bookshelf that's stuffed but I have a hard time not buying living science-y books, biographies, and history books just to have around to feed DD's voracious book appetite. I get them at garage sales and thrift stores so they're cheap. How do you decide what supplemental books to buy and what to just get from the library?

If it's something I remember loving from my childhood, I buy it.

If I can find a nice, illustrated hardback of a "classic" I buy it.

If it comes highly recommended from HERE I buy it.

If it's cheap enough of the thrift store, I buy it, and then pass it on to someone else if I don't want to keep it.

And I keep an amazon wishlist of children's books, and any time someone wants to know what my kids want for birthdays or Christmas, I direct them there.

We buy mostly history titles; I pick up a lot at our co-op book sale and from library sales. I try to get great literature, Sonlight curriculum titles and random historical fiction that fills in a gap in our library. I use them for book reports to coordinate with our history studies. We have three rooms with walls full of history books for the kids! I don't bother with most elementary science titles because our library has tons and I feel like they learn more science from field trips than books. Hope that helps.