Menu

This is going to drive me insane!

I have recently come to understand that dd7 has some specific executive skills weaknesses, including difficulty sustaining attention and working memory issues. We have talked about it a bit, and I was afraid that she was going to feel bad about, but it turns out that she is actually embracing it as we come with ways to cope with those weaknesses.

She has recently made a reading goal for herself. In the past, much of her reading was done at bedtime in that she was allowed to stay up later to read. Since I very much need quiet time alone, I have always considered this time sacred with her in her room doing her own thing. But this week, she has asked if she could do her reading outside of her room, because she wants help staying focussed and on task. She also has started reading out loud, because it helps her to remember what she reads.

I am glad that she is taking ownership of this issue and is seeking solutions on her own. And while I do think there is a little motivation on her part to stay up later, I believe that she really does need these accommodations. But between the reading out loud and the constant commentary, this is no longer my quiet time! :banghead: I thought I could maybe go in the next room, but she followed me. :tongue_smilie:

I am not really asking for advice--just looking for sympathy. It is not so bad now that we are on summer break. But when dh goes back to work (he is a teacher) and we start school up again, I am really going to feel it.