Menu

Thank you Education Unboxed!!!

momsuz123

I wanted to say this here for any of you, like me, you are still trying to learn more about implemeting Miquon. I have started watching the videos - they are wonderful. Even my little 3 year old, put down his ipad game, and crawled in my lap to watch some videos.

Any other hidden sources out there? I know someone mentioned Crewton Ramone, his sight looked good, I just didn't like his facebook page I liked (then had to unlike when I saw the F word on it).

If I do Miquon along with SM, that should really do it? Don't you think? Oh, along with some RS math games too. For my older we also do Beast and LOF for the fun of it.

I don't know how to link to Education Unboxed - if anyone can tell me how to do that on here, I'd appreciate it:tongue_smilie:

I wanted to say this here for any of you, like me, you are still trying to learn more about implemeting Miquon. I have started watching the videos - they are wonderful. Even my little 3 year old, put down his ipad game, and crawled in my lap to watch some videos.

Any other hidden sources out there? I know someone mentioned Crewton Ramone, his sight looked good, I just didn't like his facebook page I liked (then had to unlike when I saw the F word on it).

If I do Miquon along with SM, that should really do it? Don't you think? Oh, along with some RS math games too. For my older we also do Beast and LOF for the fun of it.

I don't know how to link to Education Unboxed - if anyone can tell me how to do that on here, I'd appreciate it:tongue_smilie:

You're very welcome! Here's the link!

Here's another resource you might like, too, if you don't already know about it.

We've done the Miquon/Singapore combo and I've been VERY happy with it and thought it was "enough," though we do more stuff for fun, too! But I'd be totally satisfied with just those two.

Rosie! I meant to write the other day and tell you that you saved my credibility. We started fractions and DS completely flipped out at calling the rods different names. I mean screaming at me and crying. Later that day, I was strategically watching your fractions videos and he came and sat beside me. When it was over he exclaimed "oh, I get it!" He needed proof that I wasn't an insane idiot apparently.

Rosie! I meant to write the other day and tell you that you saved my credibility. We started fractions and DS completely flipped out at calling the rods different names. I mean screaming at me and crying. Later that day, I was strategically watching your fractions videos and he came and sat beside me. When it was over he exclaimed "oh, I get it!" He needed proof that I wasn't an insane idiot apparently.

That's totally something my oldest would do! I'm glad my videos helped!

I believe that in the original classrooms back in the 60's (I think?) they first introduced the rods without the number names attached to them. So in Kindergarten they would learn about addition and subtraction, but it would look like w+r=g instead of 1+2=3. I'm pretty sure that was so that kids would see the rods as more of an abstract relationship and, therefore, have an easier time naming them various things. I'm not sure if it actually worked or not. It does take a certain level of mental maturity, I believe, for kids to do fractions with the rods. The ability to switch names of the rods around at will is pretty abstract.

I have been meaning to thank you as well, Rosie. *I* have learned more than the kids - it is making me a better teacher. You have opened a new world for me. Thank you!

You're welcome! I love knowing I've been able to help so many people!!!