Menu

aar ... need answers to a couple of questions please:)

genny

If I have aas do I need aar? It looks like a really cute program. If I go with it I would be starting at level 1 with ds (4). I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the blast off to reading activity book can be used on its own or do I need a teacher's manual along with it. I was also wondering how many lessons are in level 1? How many pages are the student book and the teachers manual?

Finally, how do you like the program?

TIA:D

If I have aas do I need aar? It looks like a really cute program. If I go with it I would be starting at level 1 with ds (4). I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the blast off to reading activity book can be used on its own or do I need a teacher's manual along with it. I was also wondering how many lessons are in level 1? How many pages are the student book and the teachers manual?

Finally, how do you like the program?

AAR is different from AAS. AAR focuses on learning to read, not spell. We love it. I just posted about AAR Pre-level 1, but I will restate here. My dd4 already knows the sounds of the letters and recognizes both upper and lowercase. However, she would sound out a word but refuse to blend it together. So, I broke down and purchased AAR Pre-level 1 and LOVE it. She really likes it and asks to do it everyday. It goes over rhyming, clapping syllables, letter recognition, and most common letter sounds, to name a few. She knows that I expect her to begin level 1 after she finishes, but she really enjoys this program. There are 78 lessons, although dd4 can progress through more than one lesson per day in most cases because I don't do the craft sheets (although they are adorable and lots of fun, we already did these last year).

In my opinion, all you really need is the Teacher's manual and the student packet. The Ziggy puppet is fun, but she could honestly care less if we use it. The readers are cute, but not using them will not cause harm. I do recommend spending about 20 minutes reading to your child daily, but any good children's books/poems are fine.

You do need the TM for Level 1, too. The activity book just has the fun supplemental activities (the kids love these). Level 1 has 49 lessons, which are not necessarily completed one per day. Some lessons my kinder completes in one day. Others take her a week. The TM has 234 pages, including the appendix. The activity book has 189 pages. If you have more specific questions, just let me know and I'll do my best to answer them!

Thanks for the info...I really appreciate it!:)

I was wondering, if I purchase the student book, does it require a lot writing on the students part? DS is only 4 and I haven't taught him how to print yet. If it does require a lot of writing, any suggestions on how I could still use the program.

I'm not interested in the level below 1 ... it's too basic for him. He can read cvc words and a bunch of sight words. I'm just afraid level 1 will require him to write ... he is no where near ready for that.

Thanks for the info...I really appreciate it!:)

I was wondering, if I purchase the student book, does it require a lot writing on the students part? DS is only 4 and I haven't taught him how to print yet. If it does require a lot of writing, any suggestions on how I could still use the program.

I'm not interested in the level below 1 ... it's too basic for him. He can read cvc words and a bunch of sight words. I'm just afraid level 1 will require him to write ... he is no where near ready for that.

They don't have to write. I just started with my 3.5 yo and the fact that it requires no writing is the single biggest reason I chose it. It has simple cut and paste activities that are great for working on fine motor without actually writing. You could even help with the cutting and just let the child do the pasting if holding scissors is a problem.

eta; I was referring to level I

Oh I'm sooo tempted. I already have phonics pathways which I successfully used with dd to help her read but this looks like it would be way more fun.

Last question, does anyone know approximately at what reading level/grade the first level brings the child to? What does the first level cover? I'm afraid it might be too basic.

Sorry for all the questions...I just don't want to fork out the dough for something that ends up being too basic:001_smile:

Oh I'm sooo tempted. I already have phonics pathways which I successfully used with dd to help her read but this looks like it would be way more fun.

Last question, does anyone know approximately at what reading level/grade the first level brings the child to? What does the first level cover? I'm afraid it might be too basic.

Sorry for all the questions...I just don't want to fork out the dough for something that ends up being too basic:001_smile:

It doesn't align that way because it's pure phonics instruction. Most schools teach "balanced literacy" which relies heavily on sight words and context clues. There are supposed to be a total of 4 levels for phonics instruction and then a few more levels for reading comprehension and fluency. I believe I read after level I a child would read around 80% of the words on gr1 list and 50% on gr 2 list. Hopefully Merry is around and can give you the exact numbers.