Menu

Spinoff on Kitchen/Dining Room/Desk Threads

I think the thing that makes these threads so much fun for me is that people's homes often reflect their personality. Whether you live in a large home or a small home, old home or new home, in the country or the city, rent or own, most people find ways to personalize their space and its those little details that make a home so interesting and so much more than just a house. Catching little glimpses of your kitchens, dining rooms, desks, etc. makes me feel I know you better. I can't invite you all over for coffee, but I can still invite you into my kitchen in a way.

Whenever I go to someone else's house, I love looking around (not snooping, just observing!) for little clues about them. When I was a Girl Scout leader, we had committee meetings for the Father Daughter Dance at one of the leaders' homes. It was a very ordinary ranch inside and out, but I loved going to her house. She was a photographer and her husband was an artist, though I think both had other employment. In her living room a high shelf which ran the length of the picture window held her antique camera collection. It was like a timeline. Her husband's paintings hung on the walls or sat on a few easels. She loved turtles and her collection was scattered about the house and poked out of some surprising places. It was such fun to get this personal glimpse of someone who I had known nothing of previously except her Girl Scout affiliation.

My mom lives in a tiny bungalow in Wichita. She doesn't have very much space, but she has packed it with things she loves. She doesn't have much money, so most of the things she buys come from Walmart, Target, Dollar General, or Dollar Tree. I like to go there and look at the things she has chosen for her house because they tell so much about her and she is a very private person who does not like to talk about how she feels or her private thoughts. Her house was built in 1918 and has a lot of issues. It was built on the cheap to begin with. The garage is made from wood salvaged from old railroad cars. But some of these little quirks are what make her house interesting. She was so excited when I pointed out the numbers and letters on the boards inside the garage and told her they were from old railroad cars!

I loved seeing Amy in Orlando's stenciling and mosaic backsplash and Asher's cool curtain and so many other interesting, personal touches in those threads.

I'd rather see a house that shows the owner's personality or tells something about the history of a house than see something HGTV perfect! That would probably explain why my favorite shows are What's With That House and If Walls Could Talk.

So, what little personal touches have you added to your home? What are the quirky little things that you get a kick out of? Have you done any remodeling/renovation/redecorating to make your space special? Do you have any dream projects? What does your house say about you? (Messy doesn't count. We all have messes now and then.)

I think the thing that makes these threads so much fun for me is that people's homes often reflect their personality.

Yeah, I think that's often true, but I wouldn't say it's the case with me.

Whenever I go to someone else's house, I love looking around (not snooping, just observing!) for little clues about them.

I like doing that, too.

What does your house say about you?

I guess it says I like colors on walls and that I avoid clutter. And it says I have children.;) Beyond that, it doesn't really reflect "me" in any particular way. I mean, it's a nice little farm house, and I do generally prefer older homes. But a "Colleen" house would be totally different. I've changed a lot in this house since we bought it 12 years ago. I did quick, financially reasonable fixes, e.g. got rid of things like brown shag rugs and floral wallpaper and so on. But I had very little time and money on my hands and didn't put a lot of thought into those changes. I'm not into shopping, not into decorating, but I felt/feel like this house should have a "country" look to an extent because that's the style of the house. That's not what I'd go for with a clean slate, though.

As for unique aspects, hmm...I have some things here that are from Switzerland ~ like these two fancy cow bells that are hanging in the corner of one room ~ but again, I feel like those are more Hans, or even Hans and the boys, than they are me. I dunno! Interesting to think about!

The origami window:)

How very wonderful! I love it.

The one thing that stands out most in our house as being individual is my artwork which is scattered throughout just about every room. The kids' art is tucked in here and there and dh's photos are as well. The greatroom has a nature theme built off of my paintings of rocks. I love rocks and use them quite a bit in decorating.

Other than that, I'd have to say the clumps of cat hair and the hairballs really give it that individual touch ;)

Rocks in My Head

The Path of Life

My Art Blog

Very cool...

We moved to a very traditional 1970's Cape Cod type house. I've had a little fun on limited fund. I stripped off wall paper in the keeping room that other owners had covered dark wood paneling, but left the off white glue (which is more like paint now) - looks like a barn. Ripped down all the flowered wallpaper in the kitchen, spackled & painted it an odd shade of blue. My father has traveled extensively around the world, and as a family we collect folk art. So I have masks, wall hangings, and such to liven up the rooms.

My dream is to have enough $ to rip up the awful carpet upstairs and put down bamboo or other hardwood. I hate carpet with a passion. And one day turn my bathroom which is the size of a small closet into one a tad larger, so I can close the door while I'm using it. :lol:

IMG_1957.jpg

I love, love, love looking at other people's houses! But the thing that impressed me the most was: a)These people can find their cameras! b)These people know how to load the pictures on their computers, c) these people know how to post photos on the WTB.

I know none of these things! So even if I had a beautiful, clutter free house, I still wouldn't be able to post any pics!!!!

Danestress - What a fun splash of color for a room!

Percytruffle - I'm into rocks, too. I just collect them and leave them all over the house though. Your artwork is beautiful!

Jenny in Atl - I like your collection of objects pictured. What a neat way to remember your travels. I love folk art, especially when it tells something about a place or group of people.

Colleen - I could be wrong, but that green on your walls seems very *you*--at least the way I picture you from your posts on the board.

I'm recovering from a round with the weed whacker and allergies and my brain feels a little fuzzy at the moment, but I think I need to write a blog post soon about my collections/decorations. I collect items from nature such as rocks, fossils, seed pods, feathers, shells, interesting pieces of wood, and bones. I also collect broken glass and ceramics from the gravel bar on our property. Every time we have a period of heavy rain and the flood waters recede, there are new treasures to be found. I have glass containers of broken glass and some complete or almost complete antique bottles that we've found sitting all over the house. What does this say about me? I guess that I like nature and junk:D

Thank you all for sharing these things about your homes and yourselves! I hope more will join in.

I love, love, love looking at other people's houses! But the thing that impressed me the most was: a)These people can find their cameras! b)These people know how to load the pictures on their computers, c) these people know how to post photos on the WTB.

I know none of these things! So even if I had a beautiful, clutter free house, I still wouldn't be able to post any pics!!!!

Not hard, we will be happy to show you!