Menu

Sonlight questions

I have ordered the catalog this morning but am wondering a couple of things I thought might be answered here.

On a whim, I decided to look over Sonlight's literature for high school and was impressed that the selection of books would be fun/engaging reading. I am using History of US to teach my seventh grader this year and had wondered about somehow making that a fit for my ninth grader as well. However, I worried that it would be "American History light". That is when I noticed that Sonlight uses that along with a guide to teach high schoolers. Now here comes the questions...

The reading selections are all together different for core 100 and core 400, so how does one do literature and count it for credit AND American History when it appears to be seperate programs? In Sonlight, do students get credit for a literature program in ninth grade?

Is there a way to use History of US for a seventh grader and a ninth grader and still make it beefy enough? To be honest, I was considering using Notgrass for my ninth grader, but it seems such a waste if I can somehow integrate. I am going to purchase a Hewitt syllabus to teach my seventh grader. Is there some guide and included readings I can use with my ninth grader to make a credit in US History?

Kelly,

I have not used this program with a 9th grader, only a 7th grader, but he loved history and we strictly did the reading and discussion orally - no real writing. I am thinking of using it for my dd in 9th grade later, because she is not a history fan.

I know that there are tests for the History of Us books which some friends used with it for 9th grade. A few people that I know have included Critical Thinking in US History book with it (I hope that is the correct title). There are, also, numerous other literature books you could include, as well as a research paper or two.

I know that some of the reading seems too easy for 9th grade, but I think just like most good literature, as we mature we read it so differently and are able to analyze it more deeply.

Good luck with it, and I look forward to others replies.

ReneeR

I have ordered the catalog this morning but am wondering a couple of things I thought might be answered here.

On a whim, I decided to look over Sonlight's literature for high school and was impressed that the selection of books would be fun/engaging reading. I am using History of US to teach my seventh grader this year and had wondered about somehow making that a fit for my ninth grader as well. However, I worried that it would be "American History light". That is when I noticed that Sonlight uses that along with a guide to teach high schoolers. Now here comes the questions...

The reading selections are all together different for core 100 and core 400, so how does one do literature and count it for credit AND American History when it appears to be seperate programs? In Sonlight, do students get credit for a literature program in ninth grade?

Is there a way to use History of US for a seventh grader and a ninth grader and still make it beefy enough? To be honest, I was considering using Notgrass for my ninth grader, but it seems such a waste if I can somehow integrate. I am going to purchase a Hewitt syllabus to teach my seventh grader. Is there some guide and included readings I can use with my ninth grader to make a credit in US History?

They use History of the US because it is the opinion of John that the books are pretty biased, so much of the notes deal with that bias. I do have the core 100 notes, but I haven't read the books yet where the problems appear to be (I think it is around book 6). You probably wouldn't need the Hewitt material if you use SL. You would just need an extra copy of the student questions.

SL is looking not just at the History of the US books, but the books they schedule with to flush it out, when they call it a 9th grade program. I too would have a problem with using just the History of the US books (though I haven't looked at the rest of the texts to see what I think).

Core 100 has its own literature program. The books are there at that link, or on page 80-81 of the catalog.

Core 400 is a separate full year program that has government as the history study and American lit for the lit study. You wouldn't want to try to do both in one year.

Now if you wanted to do 100 history with 400 lit you could manage that, but you would have to buy both the 100 and 400 IG. It is up to whether it is worth the cost or not.

If you have access to the SL forums here is a poll I did on the age of children doing Core 100. The majority were 9th grade with the second largest group being 8th, the third being 10th and the 4th 7th grade. While it may or may not meet the standards you have for a 9th grade program, there are people who are obviously comfortable with it.

If you have additional questions let me know and I will see if I can answer it. Because I haven't done the progrram, but just own the notes and spent too much time reading about it on SL :rolleyes: my knowledge is limited.

Heather

I just joined the boards today, but saw your message and wanted to reply. I"ve used Sonlight for 11 years and I did use Core 100 for my 9th grader. I beefed it up by have her do the literature from Core 400 and I used the Teaching Company American History DVD's, Ken Burns Civil War DVD's, and had her read extra history by using A Patriot's History of the United States. Hope that Helps

I know that some of the reading seems too easy for 9th grade, but I think just like most good literature, as we mature we read it so differently and are able to analyze it more deeply.

ReneeR

That couldn't have been put any better. I so agree

I am checking into the Beautiful Feet guides. That looks like a way to integrate history with some fantastic novels along the way.

I also wanted to say thank you for always answering questions about various curriculum. I hope that as I am using more mainstream curriculum throughout the years, I can come forth with wisdom:001_smile: