Menu

Sue, can I ask another AG ?

BarbinTN

You responded to a post back in May regarding the Skills Support section of AG. I have opted to skip that altogether during the Season 1.

I had thought I would have her to "copy" the stories in the Review Book just for copyworks sake. Am I just giving her busywork? Should I just do the Parse & Diagram exercises and forget it or Parse both pages and not do the Copywork?

THANK YOU!

Barb

I had thought I would have her to "copy" the stories in the Review Book just for copyworks sake. Am I just giving her busywork?

What is your reason for having your 6th grader do copywork? I never had ds do copywork at all. With 20/20 hindsight, it may have been a good thing when he was younger because his handwriting is illegible. Actually, he did copywork last year - we called it handwriting. It is my understanding that copywork is for the younger children to give them an idea of how sentences are constructed. Perhaps to practice handwriting as well. I would hope that at 6th grade, this would no longer be needed. If it's not needed, it's busywork.

Should I just do the Parse & Diagram exercises and forget it or Parse both pages and not do the Copywork?

With 20/20 hindsight, I would have just done the parse and diagram exercises on the Skill Support pages. I would have dropped the paraphrasing. I don't think it was helpful to my ds.

I would also parse and diagram the review pages. Once every 2 weeks is just right for a refresher.

Does that answer your question? I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean by "both pages". I assume it's skill support page and review page.

Interestingly enough, there are no skill support pages in season 2. Yeah!

Sue, I don't know what my point for copywork would be. I am losing it, aren't I??? I was thinking of cutting out the Skills Support Page altogether thus having a 4 day week. However, I guess being able to parse a sentence in context is the overall goal.

I just meant parse the Skills Support and parse the Review and not do the paraphrasing on either.

Anyway, thanks for your time! I think I will do it all minus the paraphrasing of any of them!

Blessings,

Barb

I just meant parse the Skills Support and parse the Review and not do the paraphrasing on either.

Yes, the good thing about the skill support page is that they are reading a section of a real book/poem. Now that I think about it, if my son had to just parse and diagram the first line, that's probably all he would read. So, the advantage of making him paraphrase is that at least he will read the entire piece. :glare:

Thanks Sue,

I revised my lesson plans (I plan and write a journal for each subject for the year) and printed them out in the wee hours last night! I scheduled IEW for Week 11 and I think it will be fine. Just listing 3 dc subjects individually made me almost nauseated the other day thus I "freaked" out. All is good now!

Bless you for talking me through this one!

Barb