Menu

Hi, New Here

Hello. My name is Carol and I am brand new to these boards, although I have done a bit of lurking here and there. I have 2 sons in college and a rising 9th grader.

The 9th grader is who I have question about. He has attended a classical Christian school since 5th grade. They were on a "university" schedule, 3 days at school and 2 days at home with a schedule. They were supposed to add a year up through high school but annnounced last Feb that they were switching to K-6th. That left us scrambling as to what to do next year.

We have pretty much decided on Veritas Press online Scholars program, but I am having trouble deciding which Omnibus to start him with. The description of Omnibus III says it's designed so that a student who has never done the Omnibus before can start with it, but I'm wondering if it will be too hard for him? The school he was in kind of loosely followed it, like they read the same books, but didn't have the same depth of study or assignments.

Any advice? He does very well with classical as a whole, especially with logic and Latin, and is good at writing and is an excellent reader with good comprehension.

I look forward to conversing with you all!

Carol

Welcome, Carol!

If I were you, I'd start him on the 4-year chronological history track. This way, he will begin his Great Books study at the beginning, where it would be most beneficial. The Ancient Great Books form the foundation on which the later ones are built. Since your son will be in 9th gr., this would be the perfect place to start. :001_smile:

I agree with Lisa, start at Omnibus I. The questions and writing do get progressively harder with each book. Since he is in 9th, it seems easiest just to start with I. You can call Veritas and talk to them too, I hear they are very helpful.

We use Omnibus at home and have enjoyed it.