Menu

Beautiful feet Geography

fiddle

If you used this, how did you like it? Did you take all year to do it? I am thinking of condensing to do it over one semester with my 4 th and 7 th graders in the fall. Also, if you have multiple kids did you read the books aloud or have them read the assigned passages separately? Thanks!

Paula

P.s. anyone try the related IEW related to this?:)

Just purchased a used set then downloaded the revise and updated guide. The updated guide is in full color and has better formatting than the older version. Im going to use it next year when my younger 3 are in grades 3, 5, &6. We will also do the IEW writin lessons that go along with it. The writing assignments come directly from the books that are read during the course. The maps are HUGE & AWESOME! We will have so much fun with this and it's going to be super hard to wait but the deal I got on the used (basically new) set was too good to pass up! We will do 1 lesson per week in addition to our other curriculum. It would be very easy to do 1,2 or even 3 lessons per week and finish it much quicker. The reason we will go this route is because it is a quick way for us to do some sort of geography. We only will have the 1 day to devote to it as our other curriculum choices are quite time consuming. I have looked at the trail guide to us geography and really really really like that but it takes much more time and is just way too much to add to what we already have!

Oh, isn't that guide gorgeous?? I have the new guide on the iPad but not the books or maps. Do you recommend it for a certain age/grade level in order to really get the most out of it? I've been thinking about using it this fall with my 8 and 10yo while reading the American history narrative BF is publishing this summer.

Do you think 8 is too young? I KNOW it isn't too young for the HCH books but perhaps for the mapwork. I'd love your thoughts.

I have no idea. :001_smile: It is titled "The Child's First Book of American History" by Earl Schenck Miers, illustrated by James Daugherty. It is a re-print of a book originally published in 1955. I'm not sure what book but I think it has the word Rainbow in it. :D BF does not shy away from Providential history so I advise treading lightly. I will be excited to read samples if/when they become available. Their catalog says it will be out this summer!! It's July already and I am excited to buy it! :001_smile:

Thanks for all the posts and input! I was gifted all 4 of the books and the old guide yesterday, and I just bought the maps. I think we're going to go ahead and get the IEW theme based to go along with this, as it looks like a great match up. The lady that I borrowed the BF materials from usually does a Geography class and told me she used the BF for an 8 week class where they met once a week for 3 hours. So this makes sense if you think most people spread it out a lesson a week (maybe 45 minutes or an hour). I will give more thought to how my dds will do this but we might try to do it in a semester, depending on our other workload. The great thing about BF is that you can tailor it to your schedule and do as much or as little of it as is suggested. I guess I am one of those people that always feel like we are missing something if we don't do every assignment.

I need to get over that :D

Excited for next year to use this, especially after seeing how beautiful that actual books are and the maps that the kids did in this womans' class.:)

Paula