Menu

BJU Spelling Reviews?

I was all set to order SWO for my 5th grader, but then looked at a sample of BJU spelling and was intrigued. He is a very natural speller who does not need a lot practice. I like how the spelling words are used in many different ways, reminds me of a spelling/vocab combo. :D Has anyone used BJU spelling? What did you think?

ETA: I've heard you need to 'order up' BJU, as it is not as difficult as other curriculums. Did you find this to be true?

I am interested too although I don't have a natural speller.

By the way, I haven't heard that BJU is less difficult than other curriculum. We have recently started BJU writing and grammar and that doesn't seem behind to me. Maybe you have heard that specifically about BJU spelling?

Anyway, here's a bump :lurk5:

I have used it. It is a very solid program. The word lists are given in a phonetic grouping or as word families. Use of words, journal writing, dictionary skills and even dictation are part of the weeks work. The amount of work each day is minimal, about 15 mins and repetitive (Monday introduce list, Tuesday do work pages, Wed practice test (we did not do) and dictionary skills, Thursday journal, and Friday final test). They keep a running list of missed words that you pick from each week to add to the weeks words. As for being behind, I never found this to be true. They do start each year with a lighter list but it gets harder as the year progresses. All my kids have used it. I strayed for a while to try other programs but i am back because I did not find a better spelling curriculum for us. We tried the Teacher,s Manual but never stuck with it. Not worth the money. You can easily give the test without it and make up your own dictation sentences (they usually have 2 each test).

I have used it. It is a very solid program. The word lists are given in a phonetic grouping or as word families. Use of words, journal writing, dictionary skills and even dictation are part of the weeks work. The amount of work each day is minimal, about 15 mins and repetitive (Monday introduce list, Tuesday do work pages, Wed practice test (we did not do) and dictionary skills, Thursday journal, and Friday final test). They keep a running list of missed words that you pick from each week to add to the weeks words. As for being behind, I never found this to be true. They do start each year with a lighter list but it gets harder as the year progresses. All my kids have used it. I strayed for a while to try other programs but i am back because I did not find a better spelling curriculum for us. We tried the Teacher,s Manual but never stuck with it. Not worth the money. You can easily give the test without it and make up your own dictation sentences (they usually have 2 each test).

That is very helpful! I appreciate you taking the time to give a review. :001_smile: