Menu

Williamsburg/Jamestown planning

We're planning on the homeschool days at Colonial Williamsburg this fall (using a groupon for 3 nts resort). Everything I've read says we need multiple days there - true? I'd like to go to Jamestown/Yorktown and Virginia Beach too, but we're limited on time. Plus it sounds like the place we're staying has a lot to do, so maybe we'll hang out there more than we would at a more basic hotel.

Which makes more sense -

1 day Wburg, 1 day Jamestown, 1 day beach

2 days Wburg, 1 day Jamestown

2 days Wburg, 1 day beach

Something else??

One more question - how do I buy Wburg tickets? It looks like there's a form to print & mail - then do they mail me tickets? What about the combo w/ Jamestown? Is it possible to do that through the homeschool days ticket form?

We're planning on the homeschool days at Colonial Williamsburg this fall (using a groupon for 3 nts resort). Everything I've read says we need multiple days there - true? I'd like to go to Jamestown/Yorktown and Virginia Beach too, but we're limited on time. Plus it sounds like the place we're staying has a lot to do, so maybe we'll hang out there more than we would at a more basic hotel.

Which makes more sense -

1 day Wburg, 1 day Jamestown, 1 day beach

2 days Wburg, 1 day Jamestown

2 days Wburg, 1 day beach

Something else??

One more question - how do I buy Wburg tickets? It looks like there's a form to print & mail - then do they mail me tickets? What about the combo w/ Jamestown? Is it possible to do that through the homeschool days ticket form?

If you're staying in Williamsburg, I'd vote for two days there and one day in Jamestown.

I think we bought our tickets on site.

If you're staying in Williamsburg, I'd vote for two days there and one day in Jamestown.

I think we bought our tickets on site.

I agree with this ratio of Williamsburg to Jamestown. Am I remembering right that you can combine Yorktown with Jamestown? I think we did both Y and J in one long day with a car. There is public transportation too but I think that's a bit trickier.

I vote one day in Williamsburg, one day in Jamestown, and one day at the beach.

Keep the beach for the treat after they learn all of their history.

Dh and I could spend a whole week learning history, but our kids get tired if we push it too much.

We have had our best roadtrip vacations interspersing fun things to do with the history places.

ETA: I have kids the same ages as yours.

Also:

We went during homeschool days, too.

I picked up the tickets at a special desk they had set up for homeschoolers. I can't remember if I made a reservation or not beforehand. You can call them and talk to someone about ticket questions.

Also, some of the more popular events sell out of tickets early, so you may want to order them well ahead of time. There was one event something like be a soldier for a day (I can't remember the exact title). That one sold out quickly.

Alternate suggestion to the beach (unless you never get to go to the ocean): instead of a hotel, rent a condo through VRBO at Powhatan Resort (or maybe it's Powhatan Plantation?) It's about 10 min from colonial Williamsburg. For the price of a hotel room at something like Comfort Inn, you get a whole condo: fully equipped kitchen, W/D, LR/DR, 2 bedrooms, 2 full baths, hot tub and access to super nice pools--large clean--seems like there were 2-3 of them. Not like dinky hotel pools. So you can do the historic thing and then come home and take a nice cool dip.

I vote 2 days Williamsburg and one day Jamestown. you'll miss a lot of re-enactments at Williamsburg if you just do one day. Take a look at which dramas they are doing on which days so that you can cover them. I think we did Jamestown but got back around 4:00 or so for one of the re-enactments we would otherwise have missed. The best ones are the street dramas. The ones with George Washington, etc. lecturing are better for adults.

As someone noted, there are 2 Jamestown sites. I think one was a national park and cost more/wasn't in on the homeschool days. We mixed it up, got there late, and basically lost a couple hours that we could have had at the other site. So research until you find 2 Jamestown sites.

On your way to Jamestown, stop for lunch at Chickahominy House: http://www.oldchickahominy.com/ When I saw their online menu had no prices, I was scared! But the food is very inexpensive, totally delicious, and served in an old colonial home, cloth tablecloths (even at lunch), etc. Awesome experience!

The Cheese Shoppe (just outside of Colonial Williamsburg) is a great place for a sandwich, but they can be crowded, so time the meal a little off peak hours.

Get gingerbread in one of the taverns (can't remember the name.) We chose not to eat at any of the inns in colonial Williamsburg. Very expensive and online reviews weren't great. Eating breakfast and dinner in the condo saved us lots of $$.

Have fun! We did!

Edited by Laurie4b

I vote one day in Williamsburg, one day in Jamestown, and one day at the beach.

Keep the beach for the treat after they learn all of their history.

Dh and I could spend a whole week learning history, but our kids get tired if we push it too much.

We have had our best roadtrip vacations interspersing fun things to do with the history places.

ETA: I have kids the same ages as yours.

It all depends on the kids. For two of my four, history is the treat.

Alternate suggestion to the beach (unless you never get to go to the ocean): instead of a hotel, rent a condo through VRBO at Powhatan Resort (or maybe it's Powhatan Plantation?) It's about 10 min from colonial Williamsburg.

That's where we're going - glad to hear the good review! We're in Michigan, so really do never get to the ocean....

History is a treat for my kids too - last year one of the highlights of our summer trip was Laura Ingalls' homestead in South Dakota. I know they'll like all the reenactment stuff, just not sure if it gets old after a couple days.