Menu

Moving Beyond the Page

We've not been using it for very long but from my experience/reading so far I'd recommend that you start with just one or two concepts instead of a full year package (I remember reading on their forum that if you're using it as a supplement they recommend 2 concepts in a yr). That way you can pick the 1-2 concepts you think she'd enjoy the most in 9-11 range and next year pick another 2 concepts from the 10-12 range. By starting with one concept at least you're not committing too much $ and you can test it out to see if it fits your daughter.

We're using 6-8 and my son's really enjoying it! We purchased just one concept to test it out this summer but we'll be continuing with it as a supplement in the Fall.

Edited by Stef03
sp

I purchased MBtB 8-10 Concept 3: Similarities and Differences to do this summer.

We completed Unit 1: Africa and Asia. There was a lot of output. It was good for ds. He produced some really good written work.

We played with Unit 2: Rocks and Minerals. Ds read Holes. We did the science experiment kit. We did some of the material from MBtP Social Studies and Science and some from the Literature Unit, but didn't try to do it all.

We never started Unit 3: Europe.

Summer stuff just got in the way, but I do think that it is a good product.

I don't think that I could use it as a stand alone, because the topics in every subject may indeed be covered but it is just too scattered for me. Doodle wouldn't care, but it would make me batty. If you do all the writing your days are very full and so I can't imagine using it alongside another program. I also can't imagine dragging it out over a longer period of time with my ds, because he would never tolerate going through the reading material that slowly.

I love looking at it and think it is nifty material. I just can't figure out a way to make it work for us which is why I thought it would make a fun summer unit study. We may actually try again next summer with just one unit- maybe 9-11 Concept 4: Systems Unit 1: Space- A Wrinkle in Time. :)

Mandy

To get an idea of the amount of output look at the hard copy samples. The hard copy PDF is what will be in the book and remember that 1 lesson is 1 day unless otherwise stated. Also, remember that you are only looking at the work required for the literature. The science and social studies manual is separate.

HTH-

Mandy

We've only used the younger levels- but I ditto the recommendation to only get ONE concept to check out before buying the whole thing. It seems so hit or miss with people. We've tried 5-7 and 6-8 and I like it for supplement and fun unit studies, but had to supplement it too much when I was trying to use it as our main curriculum to be worth it. We never used our 6-8 concept, and I'm having a hard time selling it, so keep that in mind when ordering yours.

I agree about starting with one at a time. I bought the entire 7-9 (I think that was the one) and I ended up selling several units and getting the next level up because we just didn't use it all before my girls outgrew it.

There is a yahoo group for MBTP and you can buy used there for good prices. :)