Menu

Life of Fred & Saxon... I need a plan!

Seasider

My daughter has been through Saxon K and Saxon 1 at her traditional school. She does well but math is not her favorite subject.

I know many home schoolers have been very successful in math using Saxon throughout (by successful I mean scholarship-earning-high math scores on standardized and college entrance tests). Also, if my highly social only student were to return to school, she would likely be returning to the Saxon curriculum. I guess what I am saying is that I think it important to keep a toe swirling in Saxon.

However, I have been looking into Life of Fred. Love it! Better, I think my language loving kiddo will embrace it. I cracked up just reading the samples online!

So... I would like to know how to combine the two. I have not yet given her the Saxon placement test, but I know that I personally do not want the regular Saxon 3, it looks like it would be very teacher-intensive. I am thinking the Transition book (the one for use before 54) will be a better fit.

I think that I could start with the LOF elementary books and stick with them up to a point, then start popping in Saxon days twice a week? Question is, how far should I go in LOF before introducing the Saxon? As she moves into Saxon 54 (next year or whenever), I expect LOF to become more the supplement than the main curriculum, I just want her to get into LOF to get some joy into mathematics study.

I guess what I really am asking is, is this a crazy idea, or have some of you actually done it successfully?

Here is how I've lined them up for my younger two, now that the elementary books are out. If they start to struggle we will slow the sequence down, but the line-up will remain the same.

K - Saxon 1

1st - Saxon 2, LOF A, B

2nd - Saxon 3, LOF C, D, E, F

3rd - Saxon 5/4, LOF G, H, I, J

4th - Saxon 6/5, LOF Fractions

5th - Saxon 7/6, LOF Decimals and LOF Physics

6th - Saxon Algebra 1/2, LOF Prealgebra A and Prealgebra B

7th - Saxon Algebra 1, LOF Beginning Algebra

8th - Saxon Algebra 2, LOF Advanced Algebra

9th - Saxon Advanced Math, LOF Geometry

10th - Saxon Advanced Math, LOF Trigonometry

11th - Saxon Calculus, LOF Calculus

12th - LOF Statistics, LOF Linear Algebra

Here is how I've lined them up for my younger two, now that the elementary books are out. If they start to struggle we will slow the sequence down, but the line-up will remain the same.

K - Saxon 1

1st - Saxon 2, LOF A, B

2nd - Saxon 3, LOF C, D, E, F

3rd - Saxon 5/4, LOF G, H, I, J

4th - Saxon 6/5, LOF Fractions

5th - Saxon 7/6, LOF Decimals and LOF Physics

6th - Saxon Algebra 1/2, LOF Prealgebra A and Prealgebra B

7th - Saxon Algebra 1, LOF Beginning Algebra

8th - Saxon Algebra 2, LOF Advanced Algebra

9th - Saxon Advanced Math, LOF Geometry

10th - Saxon Advanced Math, LOF Trigonometry

11th - Saxon Calculus, LOF Calculus

12th - LOF Statistics, LOF Linear Algebra

Thanks, Melissa! That helps me with the yearly line up. So, We can do LOF A&B, then start to blend LOF C-F throughout Saxon 3/transition.

Do you divvy up the LOF and Saxon by number of days spent in each, or have you found there are natural breaks in the Saxon into which you drop the LOF?

We generally do LOF 1 day per week, usually Monday or Friday. 1 lesson per week in first, 2 lessons per week in 2nd and 3rd, 1 lesson per week in 4th. After that my kids decide when they do their work. I have it divided by lessons needed to be completed per month.

Oh, I realized I skipped over Saxon 2! Still, I donot want it to be that teacher intensive - well, I don't mind it taking a lot of my time for something like the LOF, I just don't want all that extra teacher prep that appears to come with the first few grades of Saxon.

• 11 months later...
Guest babybyrd28

Thank you for this information. I am considering Saxon 5/4 next year for my 9yr old ds. We completed Singapore last year, but I feel like he didn't really "get it". He did very well up until 3rd grade. He has a lot of trouble with multiplication tables. He is very smart and understands the concepts of math, but had so much trouble with 3rd grade. I gave him the placement test for Saxon 3 and he passed with flying colors. He did not do well at all on the 5/4 test. So I was thinking of putting him in Saxon 5/4 and possibly supplementing with LOF, because he loves reading, to add some fun to his math. I am thinking Saxon 4 days and LOF on the 5th. We will have co-op on Wed. so I will have to figure how it will all come together. I would love to hear any thoughts you might have about this.