Menu

Zumdahl or Chang Chemistry?

I thought Tro's did a really nice job in terms of readability. What I really appreciated about the book was how many examples there were, especially when there were 3 columns set up on the page. The 1st column would tell you what steps were being done. The other two columns were two different problems to highlight how the process worked when you started with something different.

Don't go with anything older than 3rd edition because you won't be able to get the solutions manual for anything older than that. 3rd edition is just from 2008, but there are still plenty of cheap copies because it's commonly used as chemistry for nonscience majors in community colleges and universities.

http://www.amazon.com/Introductory-Chemistry-Nivaldo-J-Tro/dp/0136003826/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340719964&sr=8-1&keywords=0136003826

If you're looking for something that will be great prep for the chemistry for science majors classes he'll need to take later, then Tro's will work great for that. If you're looking for something that will prepare him for the AP test, then Chang's and Zumdahl's both have good reputations. Make sure that you get the AP level textbook though. I think both of them have several different levels.