Menu

Record keeping and assignment calendars...would love some help

heidip2p

This fall I will have 5 kids officially doing school. Our oldest is in 8th grade and I really want to make sure I am doing the best record keeping I can. I also want an easy way to create assignment calendars for my older kids. I want to be able to go back and put grades in once assignments are completed. Would homeschool tracker online work best for this? I had tried HST+ before but gave up after a weekend of trying to understand it. Now we have a bit of time before we start back to school that I hopefully can get a handle it. Or would there be something easier that will do the same things? Thanks for any help Heidi

I, too, will have 5 this fall. I have used HST in the past when I needed to keep records for a couple of children, but the more I add into the equation the harder I find it to unput everything into HST (I stll have the old free version). My plan for this year is to have a schedule for each child in each subject by week. It is labeled week 1 day 1 etc. When they complete that assignment I will have them put a check mark or sticker on it and hopefully the date, that way I don't have to worry about the dates lining up with where we are in each subject. I usually don't schedule the 35th and 36th weeks so we have time for catchup if necessary or if we finish on tome we can do some fun educational things. :)

With 5, or even with the 3 I have, if you use HST+ and you don't change curriculum from child to child the reuse is so valuable. Scheduling math for my two boys just involves reusing the lesson plans I already have entered, the same for grammar and writing.

The learning curve is fierce, but once you get the hang of it it is a powerful tool.