Menu

Keying TT to standard Algebra 1 scope/rigor?

This is what DD15 used. She finished TT Alg 1, made it through most of TT Alg 2 and we're calling it Algebra 1 on her transcript. She scored well above average on the PSAT.

As for depth/rigor, I'll share my experience.....

DD15 used TT Geometry for 9th grade. This upcoming year (10th) she's enrolled in VPSA Algebra 2 using Foerster Algebra & Trig. In order to take this class she had to pass a placement test provided by VPSA. I was a little worried about the placement test since she hadn't looked at any Algebra in almost a year, so for preparation I had her complete all of the chapter reviews and all of the chapter tests in Lial's Algebra text. She had no problem. That took about a month (2 weeks for the reviews, then 2 weeks for the tests). We still had a little time left before the VPSA test was available, so I printed placements tests from several math curricula - including AOPS.

She did well on all of these placement tests until she got to AOPS. Here's how that conversation went:

Me: How come you didn't do these problems?

Her: I didn't know how.

Me: But you know how to do factoring.....

Her: Yes, but I've never had to factor anything that hard before.

This was no great shocker for me, but I thought it was very interesting and begs the question, how "hard" does math need to be? Based on Lial's extensive popularity and continued use in college classrooms, I would say it is a good "yardstick" for a standard Algebra class. After using TT Algebra 1 & 2, my DD15 was fully prepared to work through Lial's Algebra and easily passed her VPSA placement test.

I've read many times on this forum "the best math program is the one that works for your child." So true! My DD15 used to hate math. Using TT made math painless for her and I believe it has provided her with an excellent foundation on which to build. She loves science, so if she goes that direction then she will eventually need to do more advanced math with harder problems, and I have no doubt she can learn to do that if she needs to. If I had challenged her with a curriculum like AOPS (or even Foerster) for Algebra 1 it would have shot down her confidence. I'm looking forward to seeing how she does with Foerster for Algebra 2 and have high hopes for her to blossom in math. And I'm very thankful for how easy TT made it for us to get through her first year of algebra!

Sorry if this sounds like an ad for TT - I promise I get no kickbacks. :)

Hope this helps,

Ann

Edited by amtmcm