Menu

x-post: Thinking of pursuing vision therapy--need help from experienced mommas!

lindsrae

I posted this on the Special Needs board, but I know this one gets more traffic, so I am cross-posting here. Thanks for any help or advice you can give!!!

My eldest DD has been struggling with reading the past two years. For a long time, I've thought it was just a personality thing--she just didn't like to do hard things; she loves to be read to, but reading herself is not fun; she gives up if there is a lot of text on a page or if the word is too long.

But now that my middle DD is reading at the same level my eldest was just a year ago, I have started to notice some dramatic differences. Middle DD has reading stamina that Eldest DD does not. Middle DD will tackle new words without hesitation--she even knows to cover up part of the word and break it into "chunks" while Eldest "freaks out" anytime I cover up part of a word. Middle asks me where I am on a page when I am reading aloud, even long chapter books, and she likes to track with me. Eldest hates it when I put my finger under words when I am reading aloud.

I posted some of her issues on the K-8 board, and a few people recommended checking into VT and posting on the SN board. Yesterday, I also talked to a friend of mind who has taught elementary in public school. She said Eldest sounds a lot like a student of hers who had a vision test and had a severe astigmatism, along with other issues. So I went home and read a bunch of stuff on this board about VT and talked to my husband. He is willing to look into it, although he also thinks it is just a personality issue with her. But I"m getting to the point where I think I HAS to be something else. She is surrounded by print, loves being read to, loves listening to stories, says she loves books, but she won't pick up books on her own to read. Almost all her friends are reading chapter books, and we have tears and fights to get through a level reader. I know every kid develops differently and comparing is not good, but I can't help but compare Eldest to Middle, and it makes me realize something else is going on--I think.

Okay, if you have made it this far, thank you! There are two doctors in our area that are listed on the COVD website. The one who is closest graduated in 2011--is that an issue? The friend I talked to mentioned the name of a optometrist, who is supposed to be great--but his name is not on the COVD website. What should I do?

Also, should I contact our insurance before I make an appointment to see what they cover?

What do I need to know in order to go about this process intelligently? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I think I need a good cry, and that might help as well. Thanks for reading...

I would call the two offices listed on the COVD site and ask if insurance covers the initial testing. (Our insurance did cover testing, but not therapy). I'd be hesitant on the exam from the non-COVD doc without knowing more about what he does and why your friend recommended him. I have known a few regular eye doctors who are vision-therapy friendly, but my experience is that they don't require as thorough of an intervention as what we had through a COVD doc. (One example--a good COVD doc will also test for primitive reflexes and assign exercises for integrating those before doing any vision work, if there are issues there. The reading I did before I took my son was confirmed by what his dr. said--he didn't feel it was even worthwhile to do VT without working on primitive reflexes first--that he hears of too many failures & relapses when that's the case). So...if you decide to call him, just go in asking questions about what kind of testing and therapies he does.

Just to encourage you though...I know it's tough when kids don't want to practice reading. Put some easier reading books in a basket that you let her choose from for some of of her practice time with you. There is a lot of value in reading easier books--it increases fluency, speed, stamina, and confidence, and makes reading time more fun. You don't want to always use books that are on the edge of her ability level, because often that just backfires, rather than producing the result that you want. She is still very young at almost 7. If you think there's an issue, then I think you should follow up on it and just see what they say, but in the mean time also know that reading is hard work for many young students. Keep reading to her and encouraging that love of books. You might consider incorporating some games like playing with letter tiles and changing out a letter to make a new word, or incorporating a stuffed animal, doll, or puppet that can take turns reading with her--try out some new approaches to make the reading time you do together more fun.