Menu

Latin for little kids?

Writerdaddy

My 8yo dd is begging for latin. Dont know why.

I think I have narrowed down to Minimus or Latina Christiana or Latin for Children.

Easiness is an issue because what with everything else on my plate I am not that committed yet. To my eye, Latina C. seemed easy to get into, even though the student book did not contain instruction. But that's just guessing.

I am hoping maybe to make due with just workbooks. They seem so simple at this level that I dont see too much the value of spending big bucks on TM. But I dont really know what I'm talking about. Videos are fine with me too-- you just push a button.

My daughter just saw the word latin in one of the SWR spelling rules, asked what it meant, and since then she is begging me. Strange, but, okay...

Any recs? I am looking for the easiest for me and her, and I anticipate the value/advantage I am looking to get is strictly a better vocabulary sense and an easier comfort with scientific terms. I have no idea what is motivating her.

She is good with foreign languages and play/pretend languages, but I definitely want 2nd grade level ideally. Light and Easy and fun...

Well, your dd's a bit older, but my 7yo dd is really enjoying Song School Latin. I was torn about whether to do Latin at ALL, but this program makes me happy we jumped in. It is VERY easy, but that's not entirely a bad thing (I just blogged about the beauty of easy-breezy curriculum a few minutes ago, in fact...). There is definitely "real" Latin vocabulary and it's an inexpensive way to test the waters.

The lessons take us literally minutes a week, and there are free "colouring" pages on the publisher's website that I print 4-up on cardstock as vocabulary posters. When I take them down, I cut them apart into flashcards so we can keep up with past vocabulary. I have not needed the TM at all.

Light and easy and fun, it is for sure. ;-)

Check out Latin's Not So Tough. The books go slowly, with the alphabet/sounds making up most of the first workbook. The pages have large spaces to write the words, too. There is a pronunciation cd for three levels at a time and there are optional vocab cards on a ring - though if you invest in these I'd suggest getting every other level since they overlap. They're also at the back of the book.

Thanks, I will look into these. Easy is fine with me!

Also interested in comparing Latina Christiana with Minimus and Latin for Children. Seems from reviews on amazon that Latin for Children is very intense.

Hi!.. my dd8 just finished up Song School Latin and she enjoyed it very much also. Light and easy and fun as the pp said. Latin for Children (by the same company as SSL) IS intense.. It is a "parts-to-whole" or grammar first program whereas Minimus is a "whole-to-parts" or translate it now based on fun cartoons and worry about declensions later.

I have read here on the boards that it is good to kind of mix up the two although everyone has their favorites.. lol Song School Latin is recommended for K-2 but they are saying that SSL2 (for grade 3+ but not ready for LfC) is coming out in the fall. I am hoping for that for my dd. That would be a LOT of vocabulary/phrases.

I don't know much about Latina Christiana but ruled it (for us) based on the Ecclesiastical pronunciations and prayer translation. I do have Minimus and the teacher guide and dvd.. although I did not buy them new! It looks fun and probably what we will end up doing if Song School 2 is not out in time. The teacher's guide does have some worksheets in it. Without it it would be just reading.

Getting Started with Latin is highly recommended on here also and that starts out very easy and gentle. It's just lists of sentences to translate though, not fun and lively like Minimus and Song School.

My ds8 is using Song School Latin as his first intro to Latin and he is really enjoying it. He is old enough to be able to connect Latin words to English vocabulary words he already knows which is a very neat thing to see! SSL2 is coming out soon- not sure if we will use that or go to Getting Started With Latin (that was our original plan before hearing that SSL2 was going to be released).

My 8yo is using Prima Latina after using SSL last year. SSL was a fun introduction to Latin and easy on a learning parent. I'll be getting SSL2 for ds6 when it comes out. PL is good so far, but it is a bit more involved than SSL. I imagine LC would be even more so. PL would be plenty for her if you decide to go the Memoria Press route. It has lots of vocab, discusses derivatives, and introduces declensions.

I can sympathize with you on this. My ds8 saw an ad for Song School Greek on the back of SSL and begged to do it. I bought it for him along with a couple of introduction to the Greek alphabet books and told him he was welcome to study Greek on his own. He's having a great time with it. It is strange to have a dc beg to study an ancient language.