Menu

Statistics or Calculus first?

My son is interested in Economics. I'm thinking of getting a light book as an introduction so he can decide if it really is something he'd like to get into, however am not sure which comes first...

What would be better to start with, Statistics or Calculus? Would you need one to understand the other better?

Thanks!

You can do calculus without knowing any statistics, and you can do a high school statistics course without knowing any calculus (although for statistics with non uniform probability distributions and such calculus is needed - but this material is not usually covered).

one consideration about order of math might come from the science sequence. A student who is planning a calculus based physics course obviously needs to cover calculus in time.

Thank you for the reply. So probably an exposure to Calculus would be better than having him look into Statistics right now?

ETA: There is something that combines Biology and Technology, but I can't think of the name of that right now. He's interested in that too, so for science he's going through Biology, Biochemistry and then moving to Advanced Biology.

ETAA: It's called Biotechnology. duh! lol!

Edited by jadedone80

Thank you for the reply. So probably an exposure to Calculus would be better than having him look into Statistics right now?

ETA: There is something that combines Biology and Technology, but I can't think of the name of that right now. He's interested in that too, so for science he's going through Biology, Biochemistry and then moving to Advanced Biology.

ETAA: It's called Biotechnology. duh! lol!

No, I see no reason for him to do calculus first since it does not look as if he is planning to do calc based physics for high school. If he is more interested in biology and plans to study something in these lines, statistics is extremely useful.

No, I see no reason for him to do calculus first since it does not look as if he is planning to do calc based physics for high school. If he is more interested in biology and plans to study something in these lines, statistics is extremely useful.

Okay, thanks a bunch! That rationale helps a lot.