Menu

Gardeners/Canners need help

I am wanting to can some of our veggies from our garden this year. Well here is the problem. I don't have a large garden, but we are still getting more than we can eat. I have 12 cucumbers and 20 jalapeno peppers that will not be eaten before they go bad. I know this is a small batch but I would still like to can them. I purchased jars, apple cider vinegar, (since I am new to canning I purchased) Mrs Wages pickling and canning salt and Bread & Butter Pickles mix. I have onions and garlic. I did not purchase peppercorns--not sure if they will be needed or not with the mix.

Is there a recipe for canning a couple of jars at a time?

Suggestions????

Yes! Most canning recipes these days are for small batches. I really like this website: http://www.sbcanning.com/p/recipe-listing.html , and I recently bought this book: Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches. It has pickle recipes calling for just three pints of cucumbers. And a recipe for pickled peppers that makes just 1 1/2 cups---3 1/2 cup jars worth.

Have fun canning--I love being able to create something for later out of my garden produce.

I've used recipes from the Joy of Cooking cookbook and they were fine. Just cut them in proportion to your batch! I did 3-4 jars at a time and processed the jars in a large soup pot (pickles, tomato sauce).

Have you considered making fridge pickles? They don't need processing, last a long time in the fridge, and stay nice and crunchy. :001_smile: