Menu

Veritas Omnibus II, scheduling?

I'm considering using Omnibus II for my upcoming 9th grader's study of the Middle Ages and R&R. I can't tell from the website, however, how it's scheduled. The sample chapter is pretty lengthy, with lots of questions, reading assignments and discussion items, and I'm wondering how long a student is given to complete this work. If anyone's used Omnibus and can speak to this, I'd appreciate the input - and I'd love to hear what you think of the course altogether.

Thanks so much.

My 9th grade dd did Omni 1 this year. She's an excellent reader, writer, and student. We chose to do all of the primary books, which was a ton of reading, and it took her all year. (She also read the Narnia books that were scheduled in the secondary reading but as of yet she's done no work for that.) She also read SWB's History of the Ancient World and wrote a paragraph or two about an event in each chapter. Finally she did some other theology reading. For all that I'm giving her three credits.

This coming year she'll be doing Omni 2 and I'll only have her read 1/2 the books again, but will discuss with her which ones she wants and we'll do less in the primary and more in the secondary so that the reading load isn't as burdensome.

HTH.

Regarding scheduling, the text has an opening essay for each book followed by several "sessions". For the primary books, it's pretty much designed for the student to do one session/reading assignment per day. So a primary book that has 15 sessions will take 3 weeks to cover. For the secondary books, it's designed for the student to do 3 sessions per week. So a secondary book with 9 sessions would take 3 weeks. There's a high level schedule at the back of the text showing all the weeks for each semester and which books are being covered on each week. If you're doing both the primary and secondary books, 8 sessions per week could (probably will) be overwhelming. You do not have to do all the sessions for each book, just pick and choose those you feel will have the most value.