Menu

So, I checked out American School at FPEA convention.

I know we had a thread a few weeks ago about American School. I mentioned I was going to check them out at convention and I was asked to report back.:)

I picked up the info at the table and briefly chatted with the man there. Also, I signed up for their mailing list, and they sent me info in the mail also.

The tuition is now $1599 instead of $1399. This is for the whole high school program, not per level. So, about $400 per high school year. Not bad considering some of us homeschoolers would spend about that per year on books anyway. That also includes shipping the books to the student as well as grading and record keeping. You pay $99 down and also a $20.00 registration fee. Then you can make interest free payments of $50.00. If you want to pay more per month, of course you can.

You can also just enroll in individual courses. They range from around $150 on up. They gave me a price list for each course as well as a course description.

I am considering having dd enroll in one course for an elective. They have a photography course which is about $150.00. I want to see how she does with having accountability to someone other than me and how she likes sending in exams and receiving grades and feedback. If you enroll in one course and then decide to enroll in the whole diploma program, they will use the credit earned from that course toward the diploma. I assume they would also credit the tuition for what you paid, but I am not sure of that since it does not specifically say so in the information I have.

I am definitely keeping American School in mind for a "Plan B" of sorts.:001_smile:

Just an fyi... I'm going to have ds use American School next year. Because I didn't want to commit to it for 4 years, we're just paying for one year, I think it's around $659. If it goes well and we want to complete high school with ASC, we have to pay $1289 for the additional 3 years. The $659 doesn't get deducted from the $1599. So I'm not sure that you'll get the full $150 cost of the photography course deducted from the total payment either.

Also, they charge an additional $200 for shipping per year for anyone living overseas. I know that doesn't apply to you, but thought anyone else considering this program should be aware of it. It adds significantly to the cost.

I'd love to hear how your dd likes the photography course as I'm considering this for ds for next year for a fine arts credit.

Why wouldn't you just use FLVS if you wanted to supplement your homeschool studies? It is free, and you register as a homeschooler, and it is fully supported by Brenda Dickinson our awesome state homeschool lobbyist. It is very easy to enroll, and there's even an FLVS yahoo group, where you can find out which courses are great, and which are lame.

Yes, I know FLVS has a photography course now also. I will definitely check out the Yahoo group since I have heard mixed reviews about the courses.

We will be doing some SOS this year, and I am a little wary of having too much computer based instruction.

But, free is good.:)