Menu

TT users....can you chime in on this??

diaperjoys

My son did a sample Teaching Textbook lesson the other day. (I'm thinking about using TT as our spiral review for the year.) He figured out that if he'd type in any old answer, the computer would say it was wrong, then offer him two choices. Choice A: re-do the problem. Choice B: see the answer. Of course, being a math-reluctant 8yo, he chose Choice B.

Does the program consistently have the options set up like this, or did we run into a fluke?

I love the independence of TT for review. However, if the program has the consistent 'easy-out', this kiddo will take that route every time....

I do that too, Heidi.

My son is math-reluctant (and reading-reluctant, and grammar-reluctant...) as well, but he battles himself to keep 100's down the page of the gradebook. Yes, those options are on most of the problems, though some just give the answer and move on to the next question. It is my rule that my son MUST retry the problem. I can tell from the gradebook exactly what he did/attempted for each problem. If he misses it on the 2nd try, he must watch an explanation of how to work the problem correctly before moving on.

That's my long-winded way of saying that the options are there. It's all in how you and he manage those options.

TT4 has been a god-send for us this year.

My son also has to get a certain score or he will have to redo the lesson. He has never tried to "cheat" though. He gets very upset if he misses a problem! Especially if he chooses the wrong answer on accident and it is a problem that doesn't give you a second chance.

I agree that a lot of it has to do with how the program is monitored by parents.

I found my DD will use the "any old answer" approach, too, and not just with computer programs. Worksheets get that treatment as well. (This was great fun during STAR testing.) However, she's much less likely to when I'm right there monitoring. So for the time being, she's not doing much independently. For worksheets, I'm sitting at the table with her. For computer programs, I sit in the room so I can see the screen. Another advantage to this is that I can jump in at the first sign of frustration, before she progresses to I-don't-care answers or outbursts. Once she's on track, I'll gradually start pulling back so she's more independent again.

We aren't using TT yet, but I've viewed the samples and we're ordering it next month as our computer lab for math. Even if she types in Whatever, it still seems a big step up from PS. In PS, math assignments are handed in and scored right or wrong, and there wouldn't often be an opportunity to retry the answer or see every mistake worked correctly on the spot. So I do like that approach.