Menu

using AoPS before/during/after RS E

i'm looking into AoPS for our 9 yr old at some point because he is in between levels of RS math right now and i'm in "assess the situation" mode. we want him to go wide with his maths, and were thinking that AoPS might be a way to do this? is it too soon? how does AoPS compare to VT module A?

we're also considering supplementing *now* with Hands On Equations, Crewton Ramone .... simultaneous with RS-E for some variation.

anyone have any experience using AoPS at any time during the RS levels up through E? would it be more advised to wait til he completes level E ?? is it overlap with Hands on Eq and VT module A???

My original plan was to do E then G+VT module A {two years}. THen I started hearing more about AoPS and am wondering if something like that {or HoE} could be a nice supplement to level E without running ahead. would VT-A become unnecessary later if we did AoPS now with E and took our sweet time? i am illiterate when it comes to mixing math programs because i don't know where the overlaps are, but i know some of you are quite good at this and knowledgeable where i'm lacking -- i need to borrow your experience.

i'm also considering posting this in the RS yahoo group .... as well as maybe the living math group.

i basically am just trying to get a math roadmap from 4th-8th in mind so that i can see how these wonderful resources can fit together for him. i feel like he has the right natural gifting in this area to really run with it and would like to give him every opportunity to do so, since my husband and i were funneled to the "calculus trap" :/

Edited by greenmamato3
clarification

I don't know the RS levels. AoPS Prealgebra was written to follow "5th grade math." So, I'd start it after 5th grade math has been completed.

I have only used AoPS Prealgebra as a main curriculum, for prealgebra. You might ask on the Accelerated Learner board about using it as a supplement, where there may be a few posters using it this way. IMO, AoPS Prealgebra is all about going deep and has little to do with going wide.