Menu

Any other writing program similar to Write Shop?

Are there any highschool programs similar to the consumable workbook type like Write Shop. I want to be able to look and make sure that the writing is being completed. Have a highschooler who doesn't like writing much and if a book instructs her to write something, she will not stop and do the assignment, she will just keep reading over it to the next section. Unless, I look over every lesson and write down a schedule for myself to see what has to be turned in, I will only get a handful of assignments turned in. I really want her to work on her writing but need something with good direction and something like a workbook where I can go and make sure the writing is done. I really liked the Jensen Format Writing book but don't have time to create a notebook with all the assignments labeled so I can check back. Is there another writing curriculum like write shop. I really like the set up but was hoping for something a little more affordable.

I'm not familiar with Write Shop but after reading what you wrote, I have 2 thoughts that may help you:

1. Have you looked at EPS Writing Skills? These are workbooks that break writing down into tiny increments and then build up. Book 3 is for high school students but you could take a look at them and decide where you needed to start. This is the series that finally got DD over her severe reluctance to write. She still doesn't like it, but she can crank out a well organized essay easily.

2. DD is now using Jensen's Format Writing. I have a schedule that I created so that I'd know exactly how much she should be completing each week. In case you find it helpful, I will see if I can copy and paste it into the next post.

Pegasus

Format Writing by Frode Jensen

This writing program has several sections and the schedule will vary with each section. You will need to be active in seeking input on your writing as you go.

Beginning material

• Week 1 – Read the “to the student†introduction on pages 5-6, the Single Paragraph formats on pages 12 to16, and do the exercise on page 17.

Single paragraph formats

Spend two weeks on each paragraph format: read the introduction to each and complete 4 paragraphs of each format, seeking evaluation for each and making corrections/revisions.

• Week 2 & 3 – Example

• Week 4 & 5 – Classification

• Week 6 & 7 – Definition

• Week 8 & 9 – Process

• Week 10 & 11 – Analogy

• Week 12 & 13 – Cause & Effect

• Week 14 & 15 – Comparison

Five Paragraph Essay Elements

This section describes the elements of a five paragraph essay and provides exercises to practice.

• Week 16 – Read and complete exercises for pages 34 to 41

• Week 17 – Read and complete exercises for pages 42 to 46

• Week 18 - Read and complete exercises for pages 47 to 52

Five Paragraph Essays

Read the introduction and guidelines (pages 53-54) and then complete 1 essay each week, seeking evaluation as you complete them. You will complete two essays for each format.

• Week 19 & 20 – Example

• Week 21 & 22 – Classification

• Week 23 & 24– Definition

• Week 25 & 26 – Process

• Week 27& 28 – Analogy

• Week 29 & 30 – Cause & Effect

• Week 31 & 32 – Comparison

Book Reports and Test Questions

Read the introduction and write 1 book report per week for three weeks, each from a different genre. The following week will cover test questions.

• Week 33, 34, & 35 – Book report

• Week 36 – Read test questions section on pages 83-84 and write an essay each day on a teacher supplied topic.

Business Writing

This section covers business type writing, including letters and resumes.

• Week 37 – Letters

o Day 1 - Business letter writing and assignment (pages 86-89)

o Day 2 – Letter complaint and assignment (pages 90-91)

o Day 3 – Cover letter and assignment (pages 92-94)

o Day 4 – Political letter and assignment (pages 95-96)

• Week 38 – Resume, read pages 97-103 and assignment

Condensation

This section explains how to condense text into brief notes.

• Week 39 – Condensing

o Day 1 – Read introduction (pages 105-106) and do exercise #1

o Day 2 – Do exercise #2

o Day 3 – Read the Precis and do exercise # 1 (pages 109-110)

o Day 4 – Do exercise #2

o Day 5 – Do exercise pages 112-114

Major Papers

Spend the first week reading through the parts of a major paper and creating samples. You will then complete 4 major paper assignments, 1000-1200 words each and using at least 3 sources for each. You will have two weeks to complete each one.

• Week 40

o Day 1 – Read pages 116-118 and create a sample title page

o Day 2 – Read pages 119-121 and create a works cited practice page

o Day 3 – Read pages 123-127

o Day 4 – Read pages 128-133

• Week 41-42 Major Paper 1

• Week 43-44 Major Paper 2

• Week 45-46 Major Paper 3

• Week 47-48 Major Paper 4

I've been considering what to have my son do for the writing section of his English course this year, in addition to writing about his Lightning Lit reading.

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to look into this text.

Edited by jpklehm

Thanks so much for sharing your Jensen plan. I will take a look at the workbooks you suggested. After seeing your Jensen plan, I think that I will take a closer look at Jensen Format Writing and see if I can make your plan work for us. She is a creative writer and if you need a story, she can whip one up fast. It is the organized writing like essays that drive her nuts and she will try any excuse she can to get out of writing one.