Menu

tell me about JHU CTY pre-algebra

Is it a live course? A complete course? Just an add-on for extra practice? Is it a good course? What would you equate it to in terms of curriculum....Saxon, singapore, AOPS...

DS is only 3/4 through pre-algebra using Saxon and I am not sure if we should keep forging through for the summer or wait until fall and repeat pre-algebra from the start. This would partly depend on how challenging the pre-algebra course would be. For ex, I have no desire for him to repeat Saxon...he is doing fine. But if he could take an AOPS-like pre-algebra, I would be content to restart pre-algebra and firm up his skills before algebra.

I am asking because our new cyber seems to offer the CTY program so he will have to start some math course from the beginning whether it's pre-alg or alg.

Brownie

CTY used Thinkwell. We have used it and we like it. It is a video lesson and then problems-- very similar to a school set up. My kids think Dr Berger (the guy on the videos) is hilarious. He said on one video that it is much easier to learn algebra if you have a rubber chicken. So now we have one, and whoever has a math test uses it for the day.

Thinkwell is good math curriculum. I can't say I have ever had a year where I have used only one curriculum- my kiddos just need variety. Everyone raves about AOPS. However, my kids like that as a part of their math only. It all comes down to preference and learning style.

CTY is alot more costly than thinkwell on its own. However if your school is paying then it doesn't matter.

Kathy

Thanks! So is it spiral or mastery? Is it at all discovery method or thought provoking like AOPS and Singapore respectively? I would guess it is not like Saxon considering its target audience. Any idea how many problems are given per lesson? Brownie

It does not spiral much. There are some discovery type problems, but not mearly as much as AOPS or Singapore. It is definitely the least like saxon- not the repetition. One of mine used it with Singapore for challenge and the other with AOPS for challenge. I would say it is most similar to Holt used in the public schools here. For a mathy kid I wouldn't use it alone, but then again there isn't any curriculum for math I would use alone.

I believe there are about 15 problems per lesson. There are practice tests and regular tests.

Anyone know why you would go with CTY then instead of directly with Thinkwell? There's got to be some benefit.

DS just tried the first 2 chapters of Thinkwell through a free trial and honestly it was a breeze. He could do what was presumably a day's work in 20minutes. Saxon's been taking us 2 hours, which is why I was interested in him repeating pre-algebra. Brownie

with CTY you get an instructor to turn to for questions. I am very comfortable with math so we didn't need that. You would also get the CTY name of course. (If that matters to you) The first 2-3 chapters of thinkwell are often review and easy. MY kids always flew through them too. We spent more time in the later chapters and adding challenge problems.

Anyone else?