Menu

K12 virtual charter possible in my county. Do I want to consider this?

We plan on lots of AP tests (some self study or syllabus and several at Penn Homeschoolers). I had many Ap credits and I was able to graduate in 3 1/2 years with a double major. I was wondering if K12 would provide the same quality/quantity of AP classes as Penn Homeschoolers for free!:001_smile:

Edited by LNC

We plan on lots of AP tests (some self study or syllabus and several at Penn Homeschoolers). I had many Ap credits and I was able to graduate in 3 1/2 years with a double major. I was wondering if K12 would provide the same quality/quantity of AP classes as Penn Homeschoolers for free!:001_smile:

The question really isn't whether "K12" would provide that; it's whether the charter school would allow it. The charter school itself is the entity that decides what will and will not be allowed; K12 is only the instructional "materials." You would need to contact someone in person at the charter school and ask the question.

Ellie is absolutely correct. The offerings of your virtual charter will vary depending on the school.

My daughter used the K12 virtual charter school (MNVA) for 9th grade, but we left after that year. Although K12 publishes a wide variety of courses, MNVA could only offer honors and AP sections if they had at least 6 qualified students. In 9th grade, they put my daughter into 10th grade honors English, but that was the only accommodation they could make.

So unfortunately, unless there are enough students for the charter school to provide those AP courses, your virtual school might not be able to offer them, depending on how your state funding works. It's really best to call the school for that information.

Ellie is absolutely correct. The offerings of your virtual charter will vary depending on the school.

My daughter used the K12 virtual charter school (MNVA) for 9th grade, but we left after that year. Although K12 publishes a wide variety of courses, MNVA could only offer honors and AP sections if they had at least 6 qualified students. In 9th grade, they put my daughter into 10th grade honors English, but that was the only accommodation they could make.

So unfortunately, unless there are enough students for the charter school to provide those AP courses, your virtual school might not be able to offer them, depending on how your state funding works. It's really best to call the school for that information.

Ok - that doesn't sound like what I'm looking for. Free unlimited AP courses.:tongue_smilie: The charter school isn't here yet. I just got an email from K12 that our county school board approved the application process to move forward.

Ok - that doesn't sound like what I'm looking for. Free unlimited AP courses.:tongue_smilie: The charter school isn't here yet. I just got an email from K12 that our county school board approved the application process to move forward.

It's really important to understand the difference between K12 and the charter school which provides it to its enrollees. K12 is nothing more than ABeka or BJUP or any other publisher; it's just a different medium. Charter schools are public schools; they are free from some public school rules and laws and policies (that's where their charters come into play), but not all, and that affects the experience more than K12 itself.