Menu

WWS week 29, indirect quote

amyco

Ds is working on week 29, description of a person. The instructions say to include a direct quote and indirect quote. Now, of course we know what an indirect quote is, but I am not sure how we include it or work it into the description? Isn't an indirect quote still using the author's exact words, which would need quotation marks? Otherwise it's a paraphrase and still might need a citation if it isn't common knowledge?

I guess why I am confused is that my idea of an indirect quote sounds something like this: Author X asserts that Caesar was obsessed with his own looks. (footnote)

Whereas a direct quote would be Caesar was "obsessed with his own looks." (footnote).

Am I making this too hard? :confused:

Please help!

I am with you .. I rarely know how much they can take of the information and still have it be their own. I understand direct quotes, but I feel like with the little bit of knowledge that I have of copia sentence skills I would have to see a sentence that had the 'information' without being exactly what the author intended.

It would practically have to be turned into common knowledge for me to be comfortable not citing it directly. That said .. I would think an indirect quote is exactly as you are stating .. I just don't know for sure about the citation of it.

Thanks SaDonna! I just told him not to worry about the indirect quote. You are right, at this stage it's best just to be overzealous with the footnotes. As they get older and their writing is more refined, I think they will be able to be better judges of what is common knowledge and what isn't. Also, hopefully the writing will sound less stilted! I am amazed at how well my ds is doing with WWS, I think he even might be starting to see the bigger picture. Plus, he's enjoying learning how to use the word processor program to make superscripts!

• 4 weeks later...