Menu

Alternative to Writing Strands?? Writeshop?

kailuamom

After two years of Calvert, I am looking for a writing program for my 6/7 grade dd. She tried Writing Strands in 4th grade and it just didn't "click" with her. Any suggestions for a good program? I have looked at IEW but it is a bit pricey and, honestly, it may be a bit too teacher intensive with all we have planned.

Any opinions on Writeshop?

Thanks!

WriteShop is fine - I have used it with two kids so far. We tend to do level 1 and part of level 2 and then switch into Format Writing, so the kid has a beltful of WriteShop (with all its helpful checklists to teach a kid to EDIT their work, and to help the parent grade the work!!!! Most valuable part of the program!) before tackling Format Writing and the traditional types of five-paragraph essay before high school.

WriteShop is fine - I have used it with two kids so far. We tend to do level 1 and part of level 2 and then switch into Format Writing, so the kid has a beltful of WriteShop (with all its helpful checklists to teach a kid to EDIT their work, and to help the parent grade the work!!!! Most valuable part of the program!) before tackling Format Writing and the traditional types of five-paragraph essay before high school.

Thanks so much for the info! I like the idea that they learn to edit themselves! :001_smile:

Writeshop is at the top of my list for this fall. My ds is a rising 6th grader. He writes fairly well, but I'm not sure if I am skipping anything important. Sometimes his editing is done haphazardly and I really want to get him on a system for approaching his writing assignments.

When I thumbed through Writeshop, I got that AHA! feeling. It lays out everything quite specificallly. I think Writeshop will help me be sure that I've taught everything. Once we complete that program, I will feel more confident about moving into more advance writing assignments.

If you need/want step by step instruction on how to teach writing, I think Writeshop would be a good choice for you.

Writeshop is at the top of my list for this fall. My ds is a rising 6th grader. He writes fairly well, but I'm not sure if I am skipping anything important. Sometimes his editing is done haphazardly and I really want to get him on a system for approaching his writing assignments.

When I thumbed through Writeshop, I got that AHA! feeling. It lays out everything quite specificallly. I think Writeshop will help me be sure that I've taught everything. Once we complete that program, I will feel more confident about moving into more advance writing assignments.

If you need/want step by step instruction on how to teach writing, I think Writeshop would be a good choice for you.

That does sound like what I am looking for -- dd writes well, but has a hard time organizing sometimes and could use help self-editing. I hope to focus on expository writing. She is much better at fiction and story-telling.

Thanks!

We used Jump-In last year with our youngest. He really enjoyed it. His writing improved.

We've used Wordsmith and Wordsmith Craftsman. Both are excellent writing books with low teacher input. Plus, they are inexpensive.

Cindy

I will have to check those out -- I had not heard of wordsmith before.

Thanks!