Menu

Secular Core Curriculum

Guest new2hs

Guest new2hs

I've made the decision! I am going to start homeschooling my 7yo next year in second grade. I am hoping for advice on getting started. As it's my first year I am hoping for an "education in a box" to start and then supplement with a spelling and math. We are not a religious family so I am hoping for something like MFW, but non-religious. I am really open and would appreciate any advice. Thanks in Advance!:)

I would suggest to not necessarily overlook the curricula that can be considered religious. With some of them, the religious content is very little or only a couple of books would be religious and the others not and it's fairly easy to either skip the religious parts, or replace the books with something similar. In some instances I have found that it's just in sentences in worksheets and you can always just replace those with your own.

Memoria Press may meet your needs with a bit of tweaking. I'd opt out of the Bible curriculum and you might need to find something else for handwriting/cursive (Bible verses included) but other than that I think it would be very workable. They are extremely helpful and will adjust curriculum packages if you call based on what you want to include.

Guest new2hs
I would suggest to not necessarily overlook the curricula that can be considered religious. With some of them, the religious content is very little or only a couple of books would be religious and the others not and it's fairly easy to either skip the religious parts, or replace the books with something similar. In some instances I have found that it's just in sentences in worksheets and you can always just replace those with your own.

I absolutely agree! I want to look at what else is out there and then make the decision. I have a friend using MFW (she wants the Christian component) that said I could do this fairly easily. There is so much out there that looks great, I just want to see options. Thanks for your input.:001_smile: