Menu

If I want to do a four year history rotation

BlessedMom

beginning in 1st grade with ancient history. What are my options for curriculum besides SOTW?

I am interested in something written from a Christian perspective. I would like something gentle & age appropriate, but fairly straight forward.

I don't want a unit study. Nor do I want to have to track down a lot of separate books. This idea is wonderful in theory, just not a good fit for us.

I would sure appreciate any suggestions you might have for me.

You could follow the older WTM recommendation of using Usborne Book of World History, although I wouldn't call it "Christian." Discussing a two-page spread would be very gentle and straight forward. It would be up to you how often to do extra books or projects, if at all. My DD loves the book and will read it for at least an hour at a time. There is mild nakedness in the book that I have marked over, but it probably wouldn't bother most people.

Are you looking for something with short lessons or are you looking for something more involved with the work laid out for you?

Mystery of History I

Mystery of History II

Bob Jones Heritage Studies 3 & half of 4

Bob Jones Heritage Studies finish 4, and 5

I think that would roughly cover history in four years from a Christian perspective, without a lot of separate books, except as you see fit.

HTH!

Tami

Chanda,

Thanks for your response and the Usborne Book of World History suggestion.

To answer your question.

I would be comfortable with short lessons that could be done daily or more involved, well laid out lessons, that could be covered in 2 days a week.

I am really wanting to focus most of our time each day on a couple of other subjects. However I do want to gently cover history in a way that would lead us down a 4 year course of study.

Tami,

Thank you for your reply & for your suggestions.

I had originally considered MOH but was told it might be too advanced for a 1st grader. What do you think? Have you used it at that age?

I will have to check into the Bob Jones Heritage Studies 3 & 4.

Thank you.

Tami,

Thank you for your reply & for your suggestions.

I had originally considered MOH but was told it might be too advanced for a 1st grader. What do you think? Have you used it at that age?

I will have to check into the Bob Jones Heritage Studies 3 & 4.

Thank you.

I don't think MOH is too advanced at all. I would simply focus on the reading and a few projects, skipping the timeline work. Have you taken a look at the samples? I have a good friend who uses it with her first grader and she loves it. We personally went the SOTW route.

I ammended the BJU recommendation above because grade 5 covers 20th century. BJU Heritage studies at the elementary level is pretty light, so doing a book and a half would be very doable, even with short lessons.

HTH!