Menu

Help with therapy ideas

Guest iBlessings

Guest iBlessings

I haven't been on the board in a very long time but have an issue that I am at my wits end over. Hoping you all might have some answers or suggestions for me.

I have a 19 year old son who seems to be stuck at an 8 year old emotional capacity. He still plays with his legos, beyblades and REALLY doesn't want to work or grow up. He wants to play all day. He even admits this freely. When he was 8 years old he had a fairly extensive surgery on both feet. Before this surgery he was a very thin, happy young boy.

After the surgery he started to put on weight quickly and turned inward, closed off and depressed most of the time. This has continued since then. He is 6'3" tall now and about 300 lbs. He struggles daily with self-doubt and depression and has talked more and more about suicide. I cannot get him to go into counseling any longer since he is an "adult". He has been when he was pre-teen to early teen years. It didn't seem to make much difference.

I have heard of a theory/therapy where once the emotional building block is "fixed" the person is able to progress and mature quite quickly. I was not given the name of this therapy or how it works beyond this basic description. Has anyone heard of this? Any other suggestions? I am quite concerned for him. He still lives at home and I have a little influence on him. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

BTW, thank you Carrie, for reminding me that this board always has answers

I'm not sure if this is what you were thinking of. RDI is tiny developmental steps of everything human/ relational/ communication. It's even used for attachment disorders. Or even highly gifted children who are so focused on other things they're missing out on relational growth.

Where I could see RDI helping, is by creating a pathway for small daily success starting at home with you.

RDI is not emotional therapy and would not replace help with depression. Depending on the level of depression, it might be absolutely necessary to treat from two directions or even three.

Amazon has The RDI Book and 2 other books with RDI activities.

My experience is limited to one child who has benefited from RDI. :grouphug:I was at loss when I heard similar comments from my child.

I have heard of a theory/therapy where once the emotional building block is "fixed" the person is able to progress and mature quite quickly. I was not given the name of this therapy or how it works beyond this basic description. Has anyone heard of this? Any other suggestions? I am quite concerned for him. He still lives at home and I have a little influence on him. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

I thought of two things that might help or possibly be what you are thinking of.

1. EFT - Emotional Freedom Technique. Also called "tapping". You might be able to find a practitioner in your area who is also a professional counselor. I have not used EFT but I know people who swear by it.

2. BEST - Bio Energetic Synchronization Technique. I do have personal experience with this one. I occasionally see a chiro who does it.

I also had emotional effects from multiple surgeries on my feet, and gained weight and experienced depression in the years following the surgeries. Years down the road, foot reflexology was helpful.

Also, it sounds like he is dangerously depressed. I would get him under the care of a psychiatrist for depression ASAP.

Edited by laundrycrisis