Menu

Choosing a curriculum for a Kindergatener with Autism

Guest Doobus

Guest Doobus

It's my first time ever homeschooling and i need help finding the right curriculum. I have a 5yr old son with Autism who is due to start kindergarten in August. *Right now he gets ABA, Speech, Physical & Occupational therapies. He is able to imitate words/actions, count to 15 & knows his letters. He can also sort & match items. He absolutely loves the Ipad too. He just doesn't initiate verbal interaction & is non conversational. He also doesn't understand the concept of yes & no.

We're hoping to incorporate the curriculum as part of his ABA. What would I need to do/buy? Pls help me as I'm very overwhelmed as it is.*

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for.

The yahoo group for RDI might have some more ideas.

Another thought, a more important question might be how to guide a nonverbal child to make them hungry to interact with you.

If your child is tuning you out or in their own world so much that it's hampering their relational growth, you would get bigger dividends for your time and effort by reestablishing a guiding relationship with the child through something like RDI. When this relationship is functioning, you can teach your child. Without it our kids are left to learn from scratch. We grow exponentially by observing and learning from those around us. When our ASD kids are not tuned in to us and their world, not only can they not keep up but the gap widens.

I can't express the victory when my child started turning to me to see what I thought about how a spelling word was written (age 9), questioning me with a nonverbal look. I know this quick questioning glance is nothing to most people. I didn't know it was missing. It was one of many developmental steps my child was missing. I now have a child hungry to be guided.

For us it looked like The Horse Whisperer.

My child with ASD is not kindergarten age, but I've got the various Lindamood-Bell programs in mind for when she is. The kits are expensive but have good resale value and they are a heck of a lot cheaper than doing L-B at a center. Talkies or Visualizing & Verbalizing (depending on functional level) and also if the student needs work with phonemic awareness LiPS.

If the student has decent phonemic awareness then I would go ahead and start either Barton or Wilson for reading.

For math, if he likes the computer maybe something like Professor B? I'm not all that familiar with it, however. There is also Dreambox and IXL for practice (both on sale at HSBC).