Menu

putting together Math for Chemistry or Physics review course

At our co-op, we have found that some students coming into Chemistry or Physics are a little rusty in math skills that will be needed. We do have pre-reqs in place, but not all students have done their pre-req math at our co-op. Our schedule is already very tight; we simply do not have time to be teaching math along with the science concepts.

Last summer, I taught a one-week course that gave students a chance to review and practice the necessary math skills. I am working on my lesson plans for this year's class. If your student has struggled some with the math in either Chemistry or Physics, would you mind sharing the specific skills that you think I should be covering? I am copying below what I've got so far.

Working with the metric system

Dealing with very large or small numbers in Scientific Notation

Efficient use of calculators

Estimating for reasonableness before inputting to the calculator

Using various measurement tools

Performing unit conversion calculations

Dimensional analysis

Derived units

Solving formulas for various unknowns

Solving a system of two equations for two unknowns

Direct and inverse various functions

Trigonometric functions

Data analysis for lab reports

Graphing and tabulating experimental data

Thanks!

I don't have any suggestions but thanks for posting this. My dd is going to retake chemistry. We are just pulling her from ps. I don't think she has the math skills to do it. This gives me a great start for review this summer. Do you have a text you will be working with or other resources your working with?

I don't have any suggestions but thanks for posting this. My dd is going to retake chemistry. We are just pulling her from ps. I don't think she has the math skills to do it. This gives me a great start for review this summer. Do you have a text you will be working with or other resources your working with?

I am pulling together my own lessons. I found some resources at the local Community College library last summer.

The workbook that Julie mentions looks pretty good but doesn't appear to cover everything I've run into over the past few years of teaching Physics. And I know our Chemistry teacher has run into similar problems.