Menu

If you have done AP government...what did you use?

We too are hoping to do AP US Gov next year with our 13yo son. Seems like a shame to miss an election year! After looking at the study guides, I thought this class would make son for a young student. It is often a one-semester high school class--and if we need to spend two semesters at this age, that fact seems useful. It also means the class has a lot less information to synthesize and memorize than some APs.

For a child who likes to read and think about issues--as well as one who is fairly organized--the AP Gov class seems like a great first step. Does anyone have any experience to confirm, refine, or refute this thought?

Right now we're going to set out as if DS will take the AP exam--but if the class seems like too much pressure or if he does not seem intellectually mature enough to do the material justice, we'll hold off on the testing this time.

We're planning to the 2011 American Government: Roots and Reform textbook by Sabato--a book I know from another context and like very much. We'll supplement with source collection by Peter Woll. The two books are extraordinarily easy to match up.

Incidentally, I submitted a syllabus to the College Board a couple of weeks ago and got approved within a couple of hours. They may be a bit busier now, but if you're thinking of seeking approval, it is an easy syllabus to write and (at least two weeks ago) a submission that gets a quick response.

Would love to hear about the experiences of other students!